Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping, Found Stuff, Gifted Charcoal, Firebox

Options
2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    skunks have longer legs than you'd think. covered by fur and skin.
    you had me googling skunk skeletons

hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    it was. thanks.

food looks great. next time i'm gonna hustle the large along i think!
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I wound up taking both the small and the medium, the three butts would not fit on the medium.
    I bought a pot lifter last week, what a back saver!!!
    Best eggcessory if you move them much.
  • bummer - you know you could have come up with a great story and I would have bought it hook line and sinker...
    It just looks like it should improve all kinds of things.

Michael
  • stike
    Options
    i thought it would too.

truth be told, i think that it must have helped. thing is, when i modified the egg that way, it was because i was finding it was taking a long time to come to temp. i wasn't smart enough to realize that it musn't have been the physical dimensions of the egg (or the air holes) because it USED TO get to temp very quickly.

i think, in retrospect, that it was simply a matter of the egg being very damp (from lack of use) and that it would take a while to burn off the water.

before we went away i did a hi-temp extended burn, and drove off some moisture, burnt off mold, etc. and she performed well all weekend.

i'm sure the increased air flow does have some effect, but it's minimal, especially compared to the improvement i get just by using it more often and keeping it dry
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Just beautiful......probably my shortest post......but I insist Beautiful mi amigo!!
  • stike
    Options
    thank you sir. you are the king of beautiful posts yourself, so it's quite an honor!
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Very very cool, Stike; the right stuff. :) My husband and I were at Quechee Gorge a couple of weeks ago (got the same pic on my phone!) fishing in a little hole beside the golf course. It's a beautiful area about 1.5 hours south of us; we were just poking around one day, stopping off here and there to fish...there is a BGE dealer down there that has been advertising pretty heavy. If you ever want to come up to the Burlington area, check in!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Very nice post.
  • stike
    Options
    i have a soft spot for Vermont. if i spend any more time than a week there, i pick up the accent. not much of one, but just enough

town (Fair Haven) hasn't changed much. i remember finding an atlas in "the barn" from the twenties or thirties. it listed the population of Fair Haven at 3500, and the town I lived in as a kid at also 3500. at the time, say 1980, the population of Fair Haven was still 3500, but my hometown was at 35,000

little change.

they took down part of the fence between our land and the pasture. they don't pasture the cows next door anymore. sad. the dairy is still up the road, and they keep the cows in that pasture, but it was always nice when the cows were there next to us.
  • stike
    Options
    thanks, Bill.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Wish I'd known you were going to that part of Vermont. We were driving through there about a year ago and our cat jumped out of the car and ran into a red barn. We looked for him for over an hour but no luck. Maybe you saw him. He's black and has unusually large teeth. Don't worry though, he's very friendly.
  • stike
    Options
    i was about to email max offline that it finally occurred to me it might be a cat. was just googling cat skeletons (though the legs on a cat seem longer in proportion to the body than even these bones) hahaha

i wonder why the thing is laying there perfectly undisturbed... the foundation has enough holes (it's slate) that any animal looking for a dead cat (or skunk, or whatever it is) woulda had no problem finding it. i wonder if it dies in the winter and froze quickly, then freeze dried...

sorry about the cat. if it's any consolation, it made a wonderful earthy soup. tasted of mushrooms for some reason though.

(week's open, except for wednesday, by the way)
  • stike
    Options
    just saw this post, bacchus. ...wasn't ignoring you.

the cooler of beer and steaks was reason numero uno for the car, as was toting the BGE

my wife was dubious about going in the first place. after cooking breakfast on sunday, just before breaking camp, i said "that went pretty good. i think next time, though, i'd bring the large egg, whaddaya think?"

she agreed.

i then said "gotcha". she admitted that there might even BE a next time just by answering.
    hahahaa
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Well I have to admit most of my camping these days is at facilities that provide restrooms/showers. As long as you are in a tent you are camping....IMO.
    :)
  • stike
    Options
    coulda used a shower frankly. smoke, cooking fat.... hahaha

hence the boat for a day.

first thing we all did when we got back was showered up and changed
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nice VayKay Jefe! Great that you can do that!

I think he was talking about the Swift River on the Kanc. We used to go up there and do the same thing-sit down in knee deep rapids (felt like liquid ice) and ride the current downstream over the smooth rocks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    looks like it has webbed wings, can just picture my dog rolling in it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am not sure if I should say sorry, but that is really funny. Reminds me of the vacation movie with John Candy trying to kill the bat.

When my kids were very young, 6 to 11 years, were were vacationing up in the Northwest. It was dark and we were somewhat in the woods. My wife went to a phone booth to find and address for a motel. Booth door closed and a family of Raccoons surrounding the phone booth.

My wife was panicked screaming for her life, kids thinking mom was going to get eaten and frantically rolling up windows & locking doors, the seeming harmless raccoons just looking for food, and dad, well I had a hard time not laughing out loud. My wife could me holding back laughing and getting madder and madder at me - yelling to get the gun.

Thanks for sharing the details, what a hoot.

Kent
  • stike
    Options
    hahaha

raccoons surrounding the wife.

you coulda gone back to bed and gotten a good night's sleep. hahaha
  • stike
    Options
    webbed wings, legs and fangs. maybe it's a flying devil or harpy or sumthin
  • stike
    Options
    swift river, eh? i'll check it out.
    hey, went to fred's today for a linguica. been there lately?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Every Saturday (almost)