Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-73, foil around probe or not?

mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a Maverick ET-73 (about time). I'm gonna give it a first run tonight with a spatchcock chicken. I know I don't really need it for the bird since it's a pretty short cook, but I want to give it a try. Anyway, I noticed that on many posts, it appears that the probe cable is wrapped with aluminum foil. Is this to protect it from high temps or just to keep it clean? Is it necessary?

Also, as a 2nd part, my brain is cloudy from a long run (it's friggin hot here in Austin) and I can't think of any veggies to make with the chicken. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive read that foil wrapped around the wires can damage them and that putting something under them is a better option. me, i dont do anything with the wires. dont let water near the probe to wire connection, becareful when cleaning them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You are going to get different opinions on this one.

Aluminum foil is supposed to reflect the heat off of the probe wire. However, Aluminum foil is also a very good heat conductor. If you question, take small 1" square of aluminum foil and hold a match or lighter to one side of the foil. See how long you can hold on to the square. Or wrap your finger in foil and put a match under the foil and see how well it insulates your finger.

Have some kind of burn cream available when you get done testing.

If you want some actual insulation material Cotronic makes a braided tubing that can be used if you feel it is needed.

I don't use the maverick with cooks over 400° to 450° and I haven't had any problems - so far.

For veggies with chicken, I really enjoy this.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=626228#626228

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Go to walmart, an automotive store, an electronics store or Radio Shack and pick up a package of alligator clips. Get the alligator clips that can be used with banana probes. (open round molding).

Use some pliers and crimp the round molding so the maverick probe fits snugly into the back side of the alligator clip. Don't try crimping the alligator clip while on the probe, you don't want to damage the probe.

The alligator clip will make holding the pit probe much easier.

GG
  • mojo
    Thanks guys! Based on your replies, and the fact that I live by the rule of K.I.S.S., I'll go without the foil.

GG, those veggies are just what I was looking for. I assume the bird's drippings go right into that pan to add to the seasoning, right? Gonna cook it tonight! Oh, and nice tip about the alligator clips, thanks again.
  • Grandpas Grub

Yup, let the chicken cook over the tray. I use some butter in the tray also (not sure if that is in the link).

If you put the cheese on the pan while in the egg, it takes only about 5 to 10 minutes. Putting cheese on the tray after off the egg will also work but tent the try with foil. Keep an eye on the veggies so they don't burn on the bottom.

Make sure you take pictures of the cook and let us know how it turns out.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    not to mess with your head, but the foil wrapper society deserves to be heard so here I go...I wrap because it keeps the fine mesh cable from getting hard and crusted with repeated uses from the smoke and grease. Since they can't or at least shouldn't be washed the crud builds up in time. I have yet to lose a probe due to foil, but in my pre-foiling days I had a couple that were so stiff they broke.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FYI.
    Maverick also makes probes that go to around 550' and they are longer.
    Fred's BBQ and music carries them and probably your BBq retailer can order them for you.
    SmokinJack
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    As Grub said the maverick really isn't necessary for high temp cooks and really is not designed for temps above 400 degrees.. The transmitter and receiver will hi-temp max at 410 degrs regardless of the probes..

Temps in the 200-350 range are well below the probes top end and all the foil is going to do it transfer the heat to the braid.

Most any veggies are good with chicken, especially the ones known as sweet taters.
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    I put foil around mine since I had the foil handy after placing it in the bottom of the drip pan. I did it to keep the wires clean. I put it in the drip pan since that can be a real pain to clean after cooking for 16+ hours.

I probably wouldn't go too far out of my way to wrap them, but I'll do it again if I remember.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    why bother to rewrap them every time? I don't remove the foil until they get bad which typically is only after many cooks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mojo
    Thanks for all the additional info everyone. For tonight's cook I decided to go sans foil. It turned out well. Here's a link.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=703688&catid=1