Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paint or stain new table

Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am looking for suggestions, should I paint the new table or stain. This is a table purchased from dealer.
I really appreciate any and all comments.
gp

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    That's up to you my friend. In most instances allowing the woods color and grain to be seen is preferred. Be sure to use a finish or paint that is designed for outdoor applications. If your table is made of cypress it is a good wood for staining followed by a clear topcoat, but again... that's up to you. :whistle:
  • I just finished staining my table. I put it off for a while because I thought it would be a mess, but it was not bad at all. I used a two-in-one stain to keep from having to do two steps. So far so good! I think stain looks better.
  • i just recently purchased a new XL Egg along with the large cypress table, I used thompson's 3 year sealer with a cedar tint, it turned out awesome.
  • Sleev
    Sleev Posts: 6
    I just built my own Large Egg table based on the plans found here- but with a few adjustments. I used cedar wood. After each piece was cut I applied BEHR weatherproofing Stain. Got it at HomeDepot. Turned out very nice. Supposed to last 5 or 6 years on a deck and 7 or 8 years on a fence. So I figure it should last at least that long. I will also be adding stainless onto the top table, and maybe diamond cut on the lower level....just a thought. BUT, it's your table, so make it YOUR table by customizing anyway you want. I probably wouldn't paint, because if it peels, it looks crappy. Stain just fades... :S Enjoy the project either way!! ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Stain if you like...then go with a spar varnish. Either oil based or water based. I put on 4 coats of spar and think it should be good for a long time. It's a marine grade finish. Paint can be a problem. Ever seen someones painted deck? :huh: Peel city :angry: