Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Staining Cypress Table

LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Built a slick cypress table from ground up a few months back, and did not stain or finish. Texas suns are going to eat this thing up :evil: ! Already showing signs of sun related weathering (minor splitting).

I am considering using the Cabot solid stain on table (I have this stuff on a wood pergola, and it has lasted 8 years looking like new in sun). However, the solid stain is akin to painting the table, so you loose some of the wood coolness.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave in Keller, TX

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    As an option,...check out Cabot's transpartent deck stains. Look for UV absorbers and mildewcides that reduce fading and molds,... I think all deck stains have the UV inhibitors but some brands of stain have more inhibitors than other brands.
    I recommend a vinyl cover for your egg table to keep the sun and rain off....will make a big difference in how long the good looks of the wood will last.
    I'm designing a table for my mini and will be building with quarter sawn white oak. Thinking of going with General Finishes Exterior 450 water based outdoor stain and then a top coat. www.generalfinishes.com
    Good luck, post a picture if ya can when your done.
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    If you have aready stained then you need to seal. I would suggest using MinWax Clear shield. It has the finish of the Helmsman spar urethane but with extra oils added to allow for the expandsion and contraction of the weather and a higher tolerance for UV light.