Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook whole lamb.

Options
irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My sister has reared 2 lambs which she plans to barbeque for a party next week. These lambs will be about 50/60 pounds when they are skinned and gutted. She plans to cook 1 in a fire pit in the ground, and has asked me to cook the other on my egg.
Is there any way I can get a whole lamb carcass into a large BGE or should I joint it into legs, shoulders and loins and cook it that way. (I have 2 large eggs to cook on if necessary.)
I could bone out the whole lamb and cook it that way, but I would prewfer to keep the pieces as large as possible.
Any inspiration will be greatly appreciated.
Greetings from Ireland, Roger

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    They took some of the back bones out of this one. Don't forget to post some pics.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=671131&catid=1
  • irishrog
    Options
    I certainly will take off the head, there will be young children at the party who helped rear the lambs, "before they returned to live with the farmer who lent them to us in the first place"!!!.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    My BiL does whole lamb very nicely simply split down the backbone. Not on an egg but a simple grate, probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but he uses a seperate fire to burn logs down to coals then shovels them under the lamb on a big grate. It's a long, hot affair but great results. Just got to be careful the cook doesn't drink too much too soon!
    Think Argentine influence. Lamb is marvellous over coals and on the egg, I imagine the one on the pit will be reasonably unembellished so you may want to provide a contrast with a marinated affair as a contrast.
    Good luck, I'm jealous!
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi James, My sister plans to cook her lamb in a pit in the ground for 24 hours. She has done plenty of research on this so I dare not interfeer. However, she does want 1 lamb cooked on the egg so she is sure of having some edible meat for the party.
    I plan to put plenty of garlic cloves inside my lamb. Also lots of rosemary, thyme and mint. I may have to cook the beast in 2 halves, front and back, in my 2 eggs, but I will wait and see what I get when they are killed on Monday, and just how big they are.
    I am wondering about taking out 2 rib bones, and splitting the back bone, to truss it up like the suckling pig in Richards post. It may just be a matter of making an incission between 2 rib bones to allow the lamb to fold. I will have great fun experimenting, and hopefully I will get some good photos, and I may even figure out how to post them, my computer skills dont extend much beyond typing.
    Greetings from sunny Ireland, where the summer has returned, at least for a few days. Roger
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    If you cut the lamb into primals and do a resturant trim it could easily fit. The shoulders would be as a bone in butt, The rib frenched, The spare rib part could be stuffed and cooked think of it as a bone in brisket. The loin and leg as a roast,
    A little work but worth the time.
    E