Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NoMex holds for me. YES!!!

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had my original gasket go after 5 cooks. I replaced w/ NoMex. Did about 5 low & slow. Then one medium cook. Tonight did Powerhouse @ 550. Gasket held.

BTW - Steaks were great as well

GrillDaddy

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Congrats! I had both my Large and Med replaced with nomex (after numerous failed felt gaskets). The Medium is holding up great and that includes at least 6 high temp cooks (steaks are almost always on the Medium as I don't do steaks for a crowd). The Large gasket has pulled away from the rim. I think it just shrunk down and something had to give. Next time I will pre-shrink in the dryer (as advised on here) before installation (or tell my dealer to do that). Pretty much all of my replacements have been made by my dealer at no charge. Chim-Chimneys in League City, TX rocks!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    That is a dang good dealer!

All should do it!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    That is great that your deal is backing you. When I installed my new gasket, I did not pull the gasket on tight. So far so good. Just wanted to share
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Agreed! My dealer is great. Very honest folks that make sure the customer is happy. I reciprocate by buying all of my lump, and other accessories, there (it is cheaper at other places). I also did a cooking demo for one of their sales events. My friends were asking "why are you volunteering your Saturday to help this for profit business?" I just replied "they are family to me."

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great answer!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    GASKETS=USLESS!!!JMHO. :) I cook neckid and LOVE it!!! :whistle:
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Kinda nice not having to worry about the gaskets everytime you lift the dome!!!
  • Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    If the nomex gasket works so well. Is there a way to lay a few pieces down underneath the egg so it won't crack the stone that it is sitting on? I do not use the feet as it makes my large tippy and mine is not in a hole. There must be something we can put under the egg the dissipate some of that heat?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    quarters or washers...should get it up with some air space and make it less tippy.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    had the gasket on my small just drop and peel off on cook 4, just replaced it using 3m 77 super adhesive and that thing hasn't budged at cooks in excess of 500 since
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Exactly, I used nomex pieces to stablize my medium. I wouldn't guess how many stips you'd need create an effective air gap?