Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Bricks vs. Plate Setter

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am newbie to the world of the egg. Will be taking delivery of a demo BGE used for egg fest in Atlanta. After reading things on all of your wonderful web sites I am not sure which is better for indirect cooking. Fire bricks or a plate setter. Looking forward to my first egg fest and then taking home humpty and firing him up.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Wino,
    The platesetter will do MANY more things than the firebrick will, however if all you are looking for is some ceramic mass for indirect cooks the firebrick will do fine. I have not used my firebricks once since getting my platesetter...
    Welcome...[p]Wess

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Wino,[p]I just got my plate setter, after about 10 months of having my BGE. It's not a must-have item, for me, but it certainly is a lot handier to use than fire bricks, etc. I've slowly been accumulating the "extras" (pizza stone, plate setter, v-rack, extended grill, etc.) over the months rather than buying them when I got the BGE. The plate setter was just withing the last month or so. IMO - you can definitely get along using fire brick for quite awhile.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Wino,[p]Go ahead and buy the platesetter. As WessB said as well, I have not used my firebricks since I've had my platesetter. It's easier to deal with too.[p]TRex
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Wino, To cook most effectively with firebricks, you ought to have have two grills (not two BGEs just two of the grill surfaces that fit inside). With the Platesetter, you don't need the extra grill.

• WessB,
    I agree; platesetter better than firebricks

• OmegaBlue
    Options
    TRex,
    Just curious what a Plate Setter is?
    I can't find it anywhere on the product page?
    What's the purpose?
    Been eggin' for over two years, but new to the forum.
    Thanks,
    Gary

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    OmegaBlue,[p]I'm not TRex, but you can see a picure of a plate setter at the following link. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.[p][p]Plate Setter[/p]
  • OmegaBlue
    Options
    Pakak,
    Thanks for the link!!
    Looks like a useful toy - will have to put it on the Christmas list!
    Gary

• I have never used a place setter, but from what I understand, the only disadvantage is that it is rigid and thus less flexible. You can get more creative with bricks. If you have both the place setter and the bricks, you can use both at the same time depending on how much heat you want. The fire bricks are more work, and for some reason it seems you go through more coal if you use too many of them.