Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chip ring arrangement

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My surf buddy was watching me prepare the egg for a butt cook last Friday and mentioned that my wood chip arrangement was unusual. I never really gave it much thought, but I guess that not everyone necessarily uses a flowerpot when preparing their egg for long cooks.[p]I keep a terra cotta flowerpot around to scoop semi-burnt lump out of the egg. I also use it when making fires for butt/briskest/ribs. After filling the egg with lump, I put the flowerpot upside down in the middle of the lump and then tightly arrange the damp chips around the pot. After you pull the pot off of the lump, there is a nice neat ring of chips on the lump with a chip-less black center. Then just light up the lump in the center of the ring.[p]Usually by the time that egg is loaded with grates, pans, meat, and probes the fire hasn’t made it to the chip ring.[p]This gives off a ton of smoke with a real predictable burn.[p]Or maybe I should just get off my lazy butt and find some good smoking chunks.