Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill cleaning tip

Options
ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A little tip I discovered by accident while cooking in the rain.
As soon as you pull your meat off the grill, take your wire brush cleaner, get a little water on it, and scrub the hot grill. Rinse the brush and scrub again. Repeat a couple of times. The water steams up and helps cleans the grill quite well. Rinse the brush as soon as you are done and the brush stays clean.
Presto!
Clean grill ready to go and a brush that is not gummed up with grease.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Good idea. I'll have to try it. I figure steam works better than just waiting for it to fall off. I've been seeing a steam cleaning thingie on TV that appears to clean everything, including BBQ Grills. Anybody know if it works?[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• ravnhaus,[p]Here's a tip that's a little OT...[p]When I am forced to use my George Foreman grill, in order to appease the wife, I steam clean it when I am finished![p]As soon as I take the meat off, I unplug the grill and I lay four layers (or so) of water-saturated paper towels on the lower grill and close the top. This causes immediate steam, which lasts for quite some time, and then I can wipe out the grill with the layers of wet towels. [p]Works very well![p]Pete[p]

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Sounds great, but what about an egg that has been sitting for four years...even the chicken sitter and vertical rack are still in there.........yuk!
    any thoughts? just blaze it away? probably, huh...
    thanks!
    BBeth

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    BBQBeth,
    I would throw it away and get another.
    Your could try the high blaze or maybe take it out and spray heavily with oven cleaner and apply a little elbow grease.
    My method depends on doing it as soon as you pull the meat off and everything is still hot and the waste hasn't had time to set too long.

• ravnhaus,
    I load everything in my self cleaning oven, grill from a large just barely fits. V rack, grill extender, everything metal comes out with a coat of white ash on it and nothing else. Rinse off and oil.

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    If you purchase one of the expensive high temperature type of Steam Cleaner, it really works well. I own a Tidy Vap (cost about $800). This thing heats the steam to about 285 degrees and cleans anything. For the grill, you need a wire brush adapter or a steel wool pad attached to the steamer head. You get the mechanical scrubbing action as well as the steam. The cheap models you see on infomercials are useless. I can't say that cleaning the house is any faster using this device, but the cleaning action is superior to anything I have ever used.