Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Question

Options
Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will the pizza stone for the LBGE work on the Medium Egg as well?

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Ala-Egg,
    I just happen to have purchased the stone for my medium and have a photo handy.
    DSCN4561_500.jpg
    I don't have it set up in this photo or centered but you can see the amount of clearance you will have for air flow. I think the larger stone will obstruct to much air.

Gator

• BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I've tried the large BGE stone in the medium BGE and it will "fit" but it's so big that, as Gator supected, it does obstruct the airflow and the Egg takes much longer to come up to temp as a result.

I use the 12" BGE stone in my medium now - plate setter legs down with three, 1.5" copper plumbing couplings standing on their ends on top of the plate setter in a triangle. They, in turn, support a small 12" BGE pizza stone.

I like this setup because it gets the pizza up inside the dome so the top cooks quickly with the radiant heat from the dome itself. When I set the stone lower, like with the platesetter legs up - grate on top and stone on grate - then the bottom starts to burn before the top is done.
  • Ala-Egg
    Options
    What is the diameter of the stone for the medium?
  • Ala-Egg
    Options
    Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Yup, same as BConk, a 12" stone. I like his set up also. My egg is in a nest so I can use the feet instead of the copper but the results are the same. A lot of people around here get the pizza and stone up into the dome a little. It may even help reduce the amount of heat that the stone deflects to your gaskets if they were on the same level. Where people like to cook pizza at very high temperatures that could be hard on the gaskets. At least that is the impression I get here on the forum.

Gator

• BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    Ala-Egg wrote:
    What is the diameter of the stone for the medium?

They don't make a medium stone - they offer an XL stone at 21" diameter, a large stone at 14" diameter and a small at 12"

I make a 12" pie and it takes a little concrentration to peel it onto the 12" stone - but it's doable. I drew a 12" circle on my wooden pizza peel so I'm sure I don't make the pie too large.

cheat-peel.jpg

Primo offers a 13" stone and I'm thinking of picking one up to try it out. Many stones available in stores can't withstand the conditions in a BGE and crack as a result.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    The 12" BGE pizza stone is sold as being for the Medium. They don't list one for the Small. However, many of us here use the 12" stone in the Small with good results.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I like the idea of drawing the circle, thanks.

Gator