Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too low?

Options
Maynard
Maynard Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well - I have done my first overnight.....

I have a 10lb, shoulder that I am doing in the LBGE. Put her on at 9:30pm last night. I thought I had the temp regulated.... Last night she was at 225 (1am) and this morning at 7am she was down to 150 or so. The fire is not out as I opened up the vents and she is climbing back to 225.

Did the temp get too low for health standards, bacteria growth, etc? The internal probe is stating 147deg.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Should be OK...keep on cooking.

Next time keep your dome temps around 250 for an easier to maintain cook.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You are fine. Agree with Fidel... 250.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    I've been there and I'd eat it. Fidel is right. It's easier to keep an untended egg going at 250 than at 225.
  • Maynard
    Options
    Thanks guys - next time 250.... that's what I did my ribs at, and seemed to regulate well.

Checked the net, and apparently as long as it is above 140, you are good to go. (according to a .gov website) I figured they would be the most conservative for temps.

I wonder what our forefathers did... no BGE fourm, no internet... just them and their cooker, maybe a friend down the street that bought one too....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think we need to spread the word a little more, boss. yeah, the thing can hold 200-225, whatever.

but it really just cruises (the large anyway) at 250.

i've said it before and I'll say it again... i can almost yell out my back door at the thing that i want it at 250, and it will stay there all night.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    as concervative as it is, using 140 as the number, it still allows you four hours under that temperature (including 'raw' and prep time sitting on the counter as you get it ready).

if you are inclined to investigate things, you'll see that even that is very conservative. there are some things that make doing pork butt on a smoker a bit safer than, say, leaving chicken salad out for four hours. but that rule is designed to cover both.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    they got together and partied all night with the cooker, seems like better times to me :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Maynard,

Temperature of 225º is very easy to maintain, all you need is draft controller. I have the DigiQ and a medium BGE and it will hold 225º till the cows come home or my egg runs out lump, which ever comes first. It will hold it for over 24 hours and I get to sleep nights.

Gator

• Maynard
    Options
    Gator -

That is my next eggvestment. Probably going to be a christmas gift, though...
  • stike
    Options
    it's easy to maintain without a powered draft too.

no offense. just trying to remind newbies that the egg did great maintain temps well before the powered draft units came along. as always, it's a case of "to each his own". but a well built fire is required even with a powered vent. fires have gone out with them running the show, too.

i got my egg after a few years trying to do lo-and-slo cooks on gassers. and most of my cooks were done at 22-225 for the longest time. i just got tired of them taking forever at 220, and went to 250 to speed things along.

again, no offense. just offering another opinion