Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dwell in the shell - concerned about amount of smoke

Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Sunday I had some sirloin steaks that I thought I try charring on the egg. I got the coals going fairly well, gave them a good stir then let them up up to lava temp.[p]I then sealed the steaks each side (dome up) and thought I'd try giving them a dwell. Not the T-Rex method with a rest but straight into it. I closed down the vents totally but there was a lot of smoke. Too much to be right in my opinion, I think the lump was smoldering big time. Anyway I opened the vents, burped the egg and finished cooking the steaks dome up. They turned out pretty tastey but I think if I'd left them in there with the dome down and vents closed the smolder smoke would have ruined them.[p]Anybody had similar experiences to this when dwelling steaks immediately after a high temp charr. My thoughts are to use less lump in future to reduce the smodler effect.[p]Regards,
Hugh.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Aussie_Hugh,[p]This is one of the reasons why I prefer the 20 minute rest. I tried the "dwell in the shell" method once and it was too much smoke for me as well.[p]Some people like the heavy smoke; I prefer just a hint of mesquite.[p]TRex
  • Aussie_Hugh,
    I've done dozens of steaks by searing and then immediately dwelling and I've never seen an unusual amount of smoke. Could something have been left from a previous fire?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Aussie_Hugh,[p]Using less lump won't make any difference. What you are doing when you dwell is snuffing out the hot fire you had going just moments before. When you starve the fire for oxygen you make it smoke (incomplete combustion) until it cools enough to stop, but you have it all sealed up and the smoke just stays in the cooker. Dwelling will add lots of smoke taste and some may like it - others won't. I gave it up years ago, plus it offers a great chance for a flashback.[p]Tim
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Tim M,[p]I agree completely on the smoke.[p]Does that mean you've finally tried the 20-minute rest, or are you still just "searing" until done?[p]TRex
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Could it be the grease/juices dripping on the smoldering lump?
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    TRex,[p]I have not tried the 20 min rest method yet. Someday - I promise.[p]Tim