Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table new thermo new brew & an old friend

Options
BigGreenDawg
BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Actually not a new table but an newly eurethaned (6 coats).
newtablenewbrewandbrats002.jpg
New dome thermometer-thought I'd give it a try
newtablenewbrewandbrats001.jpg
New brew I hadn't tried yet-GREAT summer brew-very light
newtablenewbrewandbrats003.jpg
And my old friend the beer simmered brats- a favorite anytime of year.
newtablenewbrewandbrats005.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: Love IT! ;)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Nice job. :) Hind sight is always 20/20 I guess. I thought I would give the sealer a try first, now I think I have a stain of some sort from every cook. :laugh: I guess I will re finish it in the fall. :)
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    With all of the other things going on it as well as dodging the rain it took over a week to get it fully sanded and apply 6 coats with at least 4 hours between each to dry but once completed I am quite pleased.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Did you have any oil stains that didnt sand out?
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    That table looks awesome! Great job!
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Yes I did have one mainly on the second shelf so I didn't care about it as much other than that I didn't have many others that I can remember-the biggest scar that I had no hope of sanding out was the burn marks in front of the ash vent-I have a piece of stainless at work I plan to cut to fit that spot.

I broke down and bought a new Dewalt orbital sander to help with the sanding and coarse grit paper-it was all the excuse I needed plus they aren't very expensive considering the cost of replacing a cypress table.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Now that you have one you find other uses for it. I re finished some furnature a few years back and a friend of mine who re finishes antiques turned me on to a little trick. Spray on some Plain Easy Off oven cleaner on the stains and wait 20-30 min and wipe off. Be dang if it didn't work. I had some stains on a dresser from cosmetics and used the Easy Off and it worked like a champ. Not as worried about the Egg table the stains give a little character but I will use it anyway.:laugh:
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Sweet, I'll have to remember that; I was trying some stuff mixed in with water in a cheap sprayer to apply to my deck before pressure washing it that a friend gave me at work-didn't work. Went back to my bleach and water and took off the green much better-now if I can just get my hands on a stronger pressure washer maybe I can finish the deck before football season :laugh: . That little 1300 psi I have been using just doesn't cut it.
  • Ohatchee
    Ohatchee Posts: 56
    Options
    6 coats....wow! I worked on my table this weekend and coat #2 went on tonight.

Question: Is there a correlation between the beer and your bucket under the table??? :laugh:
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    :woohoo: :P :woohoo: That's my ash pan, I always clean out before each cook. Actually I felt like a real dummy for using that better beer instead of some cheap stuff for brats because after eating them I think the cheap beer makes them taste better and it would have left more of the good stuff for me. :P Truth be told I only buy beer when I cook brats anymore so when I put it on the counter I say that's for simmerin' and THATS for sippin'.

You've probably already done a search but if you haven't FlaPoolman has a pics of his in several posts which is where I got the idea to go ahead with 6 coats-2 quarts of Minwax Helmsman Spar eurethane (marine or indoor/outdoor) Gloss.
  • Ohatchee
    Ohatchee Posts: 56
    Options
    Cool...I'll check out Flapoolman. I'm tempted to do as many as 6 coats, but my wife wants her parking space in the garage back. :P
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Looks great. That table shines like its still wet!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    beautiful job , BUT the by-laws specifically state that every bge table must have at least one bottle opener attached to it and visible at all times :laugh:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS307&newwindow=1&q=wall+mounted+beer+bottle+opener&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Looks great, now, after three years, I am going to have to give mine another couple of coats to keep up :laugh: .
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah I just haven't found the right one yet and didn't know where to look...until now, thanks.