Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Which temp do you cook by, dome or grate?

CaptainJimmyCaptainJimmy Posts: 158
edited 6:17PM in EggHead Forum
I've got a butt running atm, it's on hour 10... My Tel Tru in the dome is reading 250, and my ET73 is reading 237 grid temp.

Which temp do you set your dampers by, dome or grid temp?

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Dome unless specified in the recipe.
  • TXTrikerTXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Dome, but with a long cook like that, I monitor grid and internal. I pull to internal.
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    ...even when using the DigiQ, I clip the probe to the dome thermometer. Helps keep the cooks consistent.

Hope this helps.
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Dome.......& I still get confused..... :woohoo: :laugh:
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Dome...you're doing just fine.
  • CaptainJimmyCaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    yeah wasnt worried...ive done a bunch of butts before...i was j/w ...

250 is fine for me...i'm through the plateau now and i just bumped to 300 dome 267 grate
    Bóveda

Did that help? :)
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Claro que sí mi querido lobo celta...yo diría mas bien el domo del huevo y lo otro sería la parrilla verdad???
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    For about 75% of my cooks, I use the actual temp at the grate. That's where the food is. Well .... actually I measure it about 2" or 5" above the grate depending on what I'm cooking.

For steaks, chops or some other high temp cooks I monitor the dome thermometer and just watch the coals.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    Qui!!