Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops

WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I checked the recipes and did did a search, but didn't find what I was really looking for.
Has anybody done pork chops low-n-slow?
My wife picked up a package of thick sliced over the weekend. We frequently do these in a crock pot, but she wants me to do these outdoors for something a little different.
I thought that I would just do the traditional sear/dwell thing, but then started thinking "pork butt" and "pork ribs (3-1-1)" and thought maybe I could do the same.
Any suggestions/experience?
Thanks in advance.
John

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    WJS,[p]I might just be the only one here who doesn't simply grill pork chops. We do the big thick ones on a regular basis and our favorite are bone-in "rib" chops 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.[p]We have had great luck with 3 different preparations. The simplest being to brine the chops in the standard water/sugar/kosher salt solution for a couple of hours. Another alternative is J Appledogs marinade of orange juice, jerk sauce and a splash of rum. Finally, the spice rub from Cat's baby back ribs in the recipe archives is wonderful on anything pork.[p]I smoke them over hickory chunks until the internal temp hits about 135° and then crank up the Egg to 600-700 or so and grill them for just a minute per side to get the grill marks.[p]Just one recommendation....[p]K~G

• WJS,
    Brine...Brine...Brine for at least 2-4 hours before cooking them.
    I usually get the bone in chops that are 1.5 in thick and cook them at 425-450 to an internal temp of 165-170.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    WJS, pork chops are too lean to try to cook lo'n'slo. I think you gain more by brining and grilling ala KennyG's suggestion.

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    KennyG,
    I'm interested in the smoking method, but have some questions.
    What temps do you aim for when smoking? Is the Hickory too strong? About how long for the smoking part? Direct/indirect? Any need for liquid and/or drip pan for flare-ups?

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    WJS,[p]I run the Egg at 250-275° for smoking chops indirectly. Haven't had a problem with hickory being too strong. Apple wood is another suggestion or a blend of both.[p]1.5 inchers generally take 90 minutes to reach an internal temp of 135+ and I pull them and cover with foil while waiting for Humpty to reach nuclear temps. During this process the chops internal temp will typically rise to near 140°[p]The one minute per side sear is just for presentation and to crisp up the small amount of fat at the edges. When served, you will see a little bit of pink in the center. Don't let that bother you, they are fully cooked according to USDA guidelines.[p]Try a basic brine and this method and see what you think.[p]K~G