Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome vs. Grid Temp

Options
Nessmuk
Nessmuk Posts: 251
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally took the time to monitor the difference between dome & grid/grill temps. I was cooking with a Polder with dual readouts.[p]At 225, my desired smoking temp, the difference was 50 degrees. Later I increased the desired temp to 300. The difference was 100 degrees.[p]Which reading should prevail? Could it be corrected with a better thermometer than the one that comes with the BGE?[p]

Comments

• Fairalbion
    Options
    Nessmuk, 100° seems like a houge differences. Check the calibration on your thermometers using boiling water. Once the Egg has warmed through and stabilized, I find the difference is generally 25-30° (dome hotter than grid level)

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Like Ashley mentioned, the temps will even out a little bit over time, but a large difference in dome vs. grid temp is pretty common. I believe that is why you see these 24 hour cooks being done....because these folks are actually cooking at 185-190 with a 225 dome temp. To answer your question, the cooking level temp should prevail.[p]I find it really important to monitor your cooking level. There are so many factors...those that Zip mentioned, as well as the mass and temperature of the meat. A large dose of cold meat and/or liquid filled drip pan will present some pretty extreme differences. Each situation is different, and I believe that if you do not monitor your grid temp with every cook then it will be harder to get consistent predictable results. A spare polder works great. Stick it through a wine cork, a potato, or the corner of your meat so that the tip hangs in mid air a few inches from your meat.[p]Hope that helps!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I cooked 8# brisket yesterday. I cooked most of the day with dome at 270-280. Looked like a plateau at 165 internal and another at 175., but finally got finished in 13 hrs. with internal of 197. I had kicked the dome up to 300-325 for last hr. The finished product is great. With cowlick, redeye, garlic powder, onion powder. By the way this was indirect on regular grill on top of place setter, with water pan in place setter. Do those dome temps sound about right? must have been for finished brisket to be so good, huh? Thanks, Ray Price

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Ray
    Yeah, that sounds about right. You were prolly cooking in the 230-250 range (grid level) with that setup...maybe even lower when you first started, and 13 hours sounds about right for an eight pounder. Plus, if it tasted good and tender, and was moist....then sounds like you hit it right![p]My stomach is growling after reading your story.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • jwitheld
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    there is definitly a difference in temperature from bottom (cooler) to top (hotter) as there is also difference from close to the dome to the center of the grill (cooler) this is also exagerated when you drop a slab of cold meat in there. cook with what you are used to, if 225 dome is what you cook at then thats just 200 grid temp. pick one.
    if you are trying to duplicate a recipie from an oven go with grid temp.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Chris said it. If it came out great, your settings were correct! I realize everybody wants to create the best meal possible, but I think sometimes we focus so much on how the "experts" do it that we pass up finding ways that work better individually. Trial and error has been one of the funnest facets of Egging for me. AND, I haven't tasted one single error that tasted bad![p]Eggsperimenting Every Day,
    Jim