Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pigs Maple Salmon

GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a nice salmon filet today and grilled it ala Dizzy Pig with the Ragin River Rub and the maple/butter glaze. It disappeared off all plates including my 8 year old son. My wife said this is something she'd like to have once a week.[p]Anyone know the ratio of maple syrup to butter? I kinda winged it this time and it turned out great, but I'd like to be a bit more precise next time, and the time after, & after, & after....

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• GrillMeister,[p]I'll vouch for that recipe - it's fast, easy and has a great flavor. I did it last week on salmon along with a sweet bourbon recipe that Lonestar Steakhouse uses. The Maple Salmon was better. I used about 1/2 cup of the baste (syrup and butter) on about 2lbs of fillets and it was perfect. Chris (Nature Boy) can give you exact amounts if you e-mail him.

• GrillMeister,
    I just eyeball it. I use a 1 cup measuring cup on the stove to melt the butter and heat the syrup. I'd say about 1 and 1/2 T butter and maybe 3/4 of an inch of syrup in the measuring cup. You don't need a whole lot of butter to give it the flavor.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    GrillMeister,
    I do about half and half....probably a bit heavier on the syrup than the butter now that I think about it. Not too critical. Once when I used a whole bunch of the glaze, and brushed on about 6 coats, when I flipped the fish these sticky strings of candy peeled off like hot taffy. Yowza.[p]Glad you and your family enjoyed!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]I used a stick of butter and about 1/2 cup of genuine maple syrup. I drizzled it on and the fire sure liked what dripped over.[p]I used my raised grid contraption (thanks TNW) and I let it preheat and then gave it a good shot of PAM. The filets flipped over without any back talk and remained intact.[p]Cool recipe, soon to be a standard in GrillMeister's household! Thanks!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy,
    hope like this doesn't come across as me jumping on our own bandwagon, but I certainly wasn't a big salmon fan until I actually tasted the maple/butter glazed salmon in New Holland, PA. As my buddy Mop would say, this stuff is the 'shiznit!'. The rub, the butter, the syrup (that amber Canadian stuff, right!).... just the perfect blend of flavours.... I have no qualms about promoting this recipe and approach.... it converted me, for sure!
    If you haven't tried it yet... give it a try once and see what you've been missing...
    Qfan[p]

• GrillMeister,[p]What were the cooking temps and times? Did you use smoke?[p]Thanks,
    B.A.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BBQfan1,
    That dark maple syrup you brought me down fresh from Canada.....now that stuff is da shiznit![p]Making salmon converts. That is my goal. LOL.[p]Hey, did you see my 0-2 Terps won yesyerday.....61-0. So what if it was against The Citadel. Hee.[p]Go Redskins.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • B.A.,[p]I cooked them direct on a raised grid at about 300 for 25 minutes, then flipped. I used some Alder chips too.[p]One of pieces had a thin end, so I just folded it under and it worked out well.[p]The wife is still raving about this morning.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BBQfan1,
    Like you, I was not a fan of salmon, but would cook it for my wife and daughter on occasion. Then I tried the recipe from your site. Wow!! No leftovers that day. I used a nice Grade "B" dark syrup, from Vermont, half and half with the butter. Here are some pics:[p]2-1-3.jpg?[p]2-1-4.jpg?[p]2-1-5.jpg?[p]Keep up the good work, guys, on the rubs![p]Rumrunner

[ul][li]Meat Questions??[/ul]
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Rumrunner,
    What are the sides on your salmon plate? Looks like some kind of stuffed veggies? Is it zuchinni? Beautiful dish. We have been doing this salmon recipe for about a month (once a week). All great reviews. Thanks, Ray Price

• Babyray,
    Zucchini and yellow squash, drizzled with olive oil, dusted with DP Tsunami Spin and grilled direct over the coals for about 5 minutes. Yuppers....they were great. Thanks.....

• GrillMeister,[p]Its also great with Tsunami Spin