Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

leek recipes?

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a bunch of leeks I need to grill tonight, along with some whole trout.

Any tips on the leeks? Can I grill them with a little EVOO?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Cook them on the egg like any onion, perhaps wrap in foil.. Save some to make potato leek soup. Do the potatoes by themselves. This recipe I like with yukon gold potatoes with the skin on.

Soup, Cream of Leek & Potato

INGREDIENTS:
    3 cups sliced leeks, white and tender green parts
    3 cups peeled and roughly chopped baking potatoes, like russets
    6 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
    1/3 cup minced chives or parsley

Procedure:
    1 In a large heavy saucepan, bring the leeks, potatoes, water, and salt to the boil over high heat. Cover partially, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Correct the seasoning, to taste, and puree with a handheld immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor.
    2 Whisk in the cream and reheat before serving. Top each serving with a dollop of creme fraiche and sprinkling of fresh chives.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Author: Recipe courtesy Julia Child, Julia's Kitchen Wisdom, Alfred A. Knopf, 2000

Source: Food Network, Emeril Lagasse, 2007/06/22

Episode#: EMSP17

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
  • satkinson
    satkinson Posts: 36
    Options
    Absolutely. Halve them length-wise, wash well, throw on some oil and grill away. I also like to cut them lengthwise into very thin strips, rinse, and fry them as a really cruncy and tasy alternative to sliced onion that you might put on a burger. Great steak topper,too.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I thought this sounded good too...
    Grilled Leeks

6 baby leeks, or 3 mature leeks

Olive oil

Splash of white wine vinegar

Sea Salt

Fresh black pepper

Small handful of basil leaves

Start by washing the leeks as described above. Cut off the root. If you are using mature leeks cut them in half lengthwise. Discard the outer layer of mature leeks. Only discard the outer layer of baby leeks if looks tough.

Get a pot of boiling water on the go, and bung the leeks in there for a couple of minutes - until softened. Prepare an ice bath. Plunge the leeks into the ice bath, to stop further cooking. An overcooked leek is just as bad as an undercooked one.

Heat up the BBQ, grill pan or oven broiler to high.

Drain the now cold leeks, and dry gently using a paper towel. Toss with a little olive oil, and place on the grill, or under the broiler. Grill just for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned, and the grill lines appear.

Toss them into a bowl, and add another splash of olive oil, and a smaller splash of white wine vinegar. Add a pinch of sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.

Cut the basil leaves into thin slices (chiffonade), and add those into the bowl of leeks. Gently toss to combine and serve immediately. from:
    http://mattikaarts.com/blog/uncategorized/the-easiest-tastiest-grilled-leeks-ever/
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JohnB,

Nothing to do with the grill but my Welsh grandmother made an amazing chicken soup with leeks. I think the English call it ****-a-leekie.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1948,152185-250205,00.html
    ****-a-leekie soup :cheer: I think this would be a great egg dish in the dutch oven! Yummy!!
    Steven, did she put the chicken back in the soup or save it for another meal? My Nana did a soup like this but after cooking the vegis and chicken she pulled the chicken and picked off the meat and most of it was saved for another meal. chicken pot pie and chicken with gravy over noodles. why have one meal when you could have 3 :)