Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Corn Bread Pan

Options
AuntieEgger
AuntieEgger Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in the thrift shop yesterday and picked up this CI cornbread pan for $2. I know someone on this board has one like it or similar to it I did a search to find out who it was but came up empty. This is a LODGE 927C2 USA.
MVC-008S.jpg

It was real nasty with rust so I got some Coca-Cola and some steal wool and cleaned it up.
MVC-009S.jpg

And after being re-seasoned on the BGE it is again a beautiful CI cornbread pan. Now I’ve never made cornbread before so just wanted to ask if I put this CI pan right on the plate setter or does there need to be an air barrier between the CI pan and Plate setter just as you would have with a Dutch oven? And how long would it take the cornbread to bake in this pan?
MVC-010S.jpg

AuntieEgger

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have 2 just like it.Platesetter legs up,grid on top,400 dome about 10-12 minutes.Lubricate CI well before pouring in batter.YUMMY! ;)BTW,I always preheat my CI for cornbread.It makes a crispier crust. :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04758a.jpg

I have one of those, along with a drop biscuit pan and a #3 skillet. All of them are great for small batches of cornbread. I cook mine on top of a plate setter or pizza stone. Put the pan in the oven first to preheat it. Take it out, oil it (use either melted Crisco or bacon drippings, applied with a brush) spoon in your batter, don't overfill!!, set it on a sheet pan for transport to the preheated Egg. The corn pan will take about 8 - 10 minutes or so to cook. Just watch for it to get golden. For experimenting I would buy some of the $.30 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix.

The more seasoned it becomes, the less Crisco you will need.

DSC07065a.jpg

DSC08119a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    That's a good buy on a nice corn stick pan. I've got an old Griswold I shelled out $20 for.

CI is the best way to make cornbread by far IMO. I made a batch last night to liven up a leftover spatchcock chicken dinner.

This is my favorite recipe - it makes enough to fill a 9" (No 8 Griswold) skillet.

It's a savory and moist cornbread with a great crusty bottom and it's a wonderful side dish for barbecued anything...and also goes great with chili or pea soup.

I crave this stuff.

whisk together in a bowl:
    1 3/4 cups stone ground white cornmeal
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt - (or 3/4 tsp salt if your buttermilk has salt in it)

In a separate bowl whisk
    2 eggs until they're foamy then add
    1 tbsp molasses
    2 cups buttermilk and whisk until combined

Mix wet and dry ingredients and whisk together just until they're combined.

Grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet thoroughly with
    1 tbsp butter (I've tried bacon grease but my wife and I greatly prefer the way it comes out using butter) and put the skillet it in the oven or BGE. Leave it there until it starts to smoke then pour all the batter in at once.

Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes - a toothpick poked in will come out clean when it's done.

Cut it into wedges in the skillet and serve it hot out of the oven. Leftovers...if any, can be wrapped in foil and reheated - but it's at its peak fresh out of the oven

If I were using it for cornsticks I'd do the same thing as suggested above - grease the pan and heat it until it smokes then spoon the cavities half full and bake until nicely browned. Butter is fine unless you'd rather use bacon grease or Crisco
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Dang it all...now I am hungry for some cornbread.... :P
  • thirdeye
    Options
    CopyofDSC08113a.jpg

That's still a good deal on a Griswold, their CI is top notch..... in my meager collection, I have several griddles with bails, even a 10" one for my small Egg. Two of them are Wagner, from the 1890's
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    Question Please;
    Do you all cover your CI pan with the corn bread?
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Thank you for the advise Hoss. Looks like lots of people have these CI corn bread pans. Everything always tastes better cooked in a CI pan.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. You have a nice collection of CI ware. I love that biscuit pan. I’ve been looking for a CI griddle to go with my collection but no luck yet in finding one.

My husband got this CI DO for two dollars at a yard sale a week ago they were asking more money for it but it didn’t have a lid and was all rusty so hubby acted stupid and said he didn’t know if he could get it clean and if not he’d have to throw it out and got it for a good price.

MVC-013S.jpg
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Thank you for the advice and the recipe I will give it a try.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    I haven't made cornbread yet but I guess you would just pour the corn bread batter into the hot CI pan.
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    Don't forget to add about 1 ounce of bacon grease to the cornbread recipe.

Heat the grease in the skillet and pour into the batter.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I don't. I treat the Egg just like an oven. Now, I'm not much of a baker, but I've had some good luck with beer breads too. They are kind of mounded onto parchment paper and baked.

DSC05916JPGa.jpg

DSC05961JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    Really? I thought you just greased the pan? So you pour the grease into the cornbread batter?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Got one - have used CW's recipe in it a few times.

IMG_4048800x600.jpg

Added some blueberries to CW's recipe once - It was more like a dessert - here are some with and without blueberries
    IMG_4057800x600.jpg
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    WoW thirdeye your killing me it’s supper time and I’m hungry LOL

Gotta to light the egg to make supper

Man that looks good
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Well after looking at this I’m more than hungry now!!!! That’s a great idea I love blueberries!!!!

I noticed you don’t have a plate setter on the egg do you just put the pans on the grid?

I think I’m going to have to get a SBGE for at the camper I wonder if the store has a small in stock. Going on holidays for a week and it’s going to kill me cooking on the gasser.

WoW I think I’m addicted

Oh man wonder what hubbys going to say about this idea LOL if he doesn’t like it I’m going to burn his food on the gasser :evil: