Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Rubs: Salt or No Salt?

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been using many types of rubs on briskets, all of them with salt in them. Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning for the most part.[p]Then, I've heard other people say that salt will draw the moisture ou to the meat, so don't use it?[p]Has anyone noticed any difference in the moisture content of their cooks using salt vs. non-salt rubs?

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    DavidR,
    Try this Rub for Brisket.
    It is Elder Ward’s from his recipe that is posted here. It is what I use on Brisket with great success.[p]Ingredients:
    • 4 Tbs Kosher salt
    • 4 Tbs raw Hawiian sugar
    • 2 Tbs ground Cumin seeds
    • 4 Tbs McCormick Chili powder (Chile en polvo oscuro)
    • 2 Tbs cracked Black pepper
    • 1 Tbs Cayenne pepper fine ground
    • 4 Tbs Hungarian paprika
    • 2 Tbs Thyme ground [p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• DavidR,
    I don't use salt for leaner cuts of meat, but butts and briskets, I say its ok because of the fat content (JMHO)

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    DavidR:[p]If a rub has a large volume of salt you may want to apply it a couple of hours before the cook, not the night before.
    [/b]
  • DavidR,
    Unless the salt is breaking down connective tissue and rendering fat it will not dry out a butt or brisket.
    Jim

• GRILLEMARK
    Options
    DavidR,
    Scince I had a heart attack I dont use salt at all and dont even miss the stuff! But salt will start to draw out moisture from anything you put it on except the human body which makes you retain water.