Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Success

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pizza.jpg
<p />My first real pizza (not frozen) was a huge success. The only comment from my wife was "we'll have to work on the sauce". She said the texture and crust were very good, so I'm a hero tonight![p]Smokey

Comments

• Smokey ,
    Try this sauce next time.
    Pizza Sauce
    1 10 3/4-ounce can of tomato puree
    1/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/8 teaspoon basil
    1/8 teaspoon thyme
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder[p]Its not my own creation but I like it.[p]Tom

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    EggCamper,[p]Thanks! I've delegated finding sauce recipes to the wife. I really went the easy way this time. I bought the pre-made dough at Publix, along with a package of Boboli (sp) sauce. Next time I'll do more on my own![p]Smokey
  • Smokey ,
    I havent done a pizza in a while. However when I do I allways get dough from publix. Im lazy! My sons bday is coming up . I want to try to cook a bunch of pizzas for his birthday. Dont know if thats a good idea seeing that I havent done it in a while.

• Nice picture of Mars.[p]Only kidding, just been a while since I've seen a naked pizza.[p]My sauce is something that I need to work on. I might try EggCamper's next time. Even with my sauce needing improvement my family doesn't want to eat any other pizza.[p]Happy grilling![p]Bill
  • Smokey ,
    A while back, I did a Google search for the C.P.K. BBQ Chicken Pizza. One of the recipes I came up with follows. I've made it twice and it was marvelous (they were my first two pizzas). Did everything from scratch, except used K.C. Masterpiece BBQ Sauce. It would probably be even better with home made. Did them on the BGE, platesetter legs down, BGE pizza stone on top, at 550 the first time and 600 the second. 600 was better. Used the bread machine for dough the 2nd time and it was no strain.
    I had one piece and half of a second, then got busy on the phone. When I got back to the table, my wife had finished off the (admittedly small) pizza, and pointing to my plate, asked "You going to eat that?".
    Not a traditional pizza, but excellent.

CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
    1 Tbsp honey
    1 cup warm water
    2 tsp active dry yeast
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    In a small bowl, dissolve honey in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over and stir until it dissolves. Let mixture stand 5 minutes, until a layer of foam forms on surface. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and pour in oil and yeast mixture. Stir flour into wet ingredients, until all flour is incorporated. If too dry, add more water. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough 15 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball and put in a well-oiled bowl. Cover with a moist towel and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. One hour before baking, start preheating oven with pizza stones inside @ 500°.
    10 oz. chicken breast, boned and skinned
    2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    2 cups Gouda cheese or 1 cup Gouda and 1 cup mozzarella
    1/4 small red onion, sliced into rings
    2 Tbsp cilantro
    In a large pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Sauté chicken until cooked, about 6 minutes. Chill. Coat chicken with 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce and set aside in refrigerator. Punch dough down, and divide into 4 equal portions. Roll out each portion into an 6–8” flat circle. Spread 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over surface of dough. Distribute 1/2 the cheese over sauce. Distribute 1/2 the chicken over the cheese. Place half the onion rings over the chicken pieces. Place pizza in the oven on top of pizza stones. Bake until crust is crispy and cheese is bubbling (8-10 minutes). Remove from oven and sprinkle each with 1/2 the cilantro.

• EggCamper,do you let your dough set out or work with it straight from the fridge? Thanks for the infoe, we planning to make several tonight.

• poppasam,
    I let it sit out for a little while. I cant remember how long. The lady at publix suggested I do that. It might have been an hour or so.[p]Tom

• EggCamper, when we used it before we let it sit out for about 30 minutes. The dough was hard to work with--sort of elastic. It was difficult to get it to stretch out. The pizza was excellent, but my wife was afraid of overworking the dough.