Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Vacuum For Tile Floors

Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Does anyone have a good one to reccommend?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Our Oreck works well..
  • I forgot to mention that I would hope it would have a beater brush that can be turned on to do the little mats by the doors and the beater be turned off for tile. I have a full sized vac for the carpets. Thanks.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Ok Rainbow!!

Expensive as hell but they will even clean your carpets and tile floors..
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Pete, Any topic you won't tackle? :huh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    The physiological state of Morrow Bay Rich.

:laugh:

We got a demo for the rainbow, but we decided to remodel the kitchen.. It was a cheaper choice.. :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have a Rainbow, Commercial Upright, Dyson(2), Kirby(2) iRobot Vacuum, and several others. I would like to try an Oreck at some point in time.

So far the Dyson has been the best, for ease of use and dumping.

The rainbow cleans extremely well. However, it gets old using the water and the dumping of the water and dirt. It doesn't go down the toilet well, so we had a special place to dump the water outside. Then every once in a while we would clean up the 'dump site'. No one liked dealing with the water. I need to sell that vacuum.

The Kirby is just too heavy. The Commercial is good but I got a bagless, bad idea. I added bags and was tired of going through those. I really like the Dyson, the first one a plastic part broke, rather than fix we got a new one. Contrary to the advertising the Dyson does need some cleaning of the dirt chamber. There are many little holes that the air flows up into the vacumm. After time those holes get blocked with micro dirt - very fine dirt.

I have to use a brush and air pressure to clean out those holes and then the suction returns to what it should be. It needs to be done every 6 to 8 months. I would think the frequency would depend on the dust in the house.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    How do you like your iRobot?

We've had one for about a year and it does a decent job for touch-up work, between full vacuums. Just a pain to clean every use - we have two cats and you can imagine the cat hair fills it up every time. :ohmy:
  • Grandpas Grub

The idea is great, fun to watch and that is about it.

As far as cleaning it did ok, it is a relative small unit so the actual suction isn't all that good. If there is a lot of things on the floor it has a hard time navigating, something like a kitchen floor with the table legs and chair legs drives the poor little guy crazy.

It can & does get itself wedged under low furniture like a couch.

I wasn't unhappy with getting it and I wasn't sad when I sold it.

For us not real practical. In the same breath I wouldn't tell someone they were dumb for getting one either. I would rather spend the money on something for the egg.

They are improving the logic all the time. I think it would be fun to try another one to see the changes. Some day I would think it might get there.

Now a iLawnmower, that might be the ticket.

GG
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I like my Oreck. It is the most hassle free vac I have owned. No cleaning of dirt chambers no dust from dumping canister vacs. Just pull out the bag and install a new one. Fantastic! IMO, the best!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Grandpas Grub
    How much do they cost?

GG
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Could you expand a bit on the area (holes) that you clean on the Dyson? I have a relatively new unit and while all the hoses are clear, suction in the 'carpet' mode is poor, however, the wand works fine. The model is a DC07 'all floors'. TIA!
  • Grandpas Grub
    In what Dyson calls the Cyclone, the part with a square pattern filled with 1/4" or so holes - hundreds of them.

Over time the micro dust will begin to plug up the holes. This is a gradual filling up of the holes. The less air flow the less cleaning power of the vacuum. It is pretty easy to see when those holes are getting filled up.

If you have a strong want suction and poor floor suction there is something blocking the air path from the floor piece up through the air path.

If something is blocking the air I usually can hear a sound difference in the vacuum.

GG