Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex method for steaks is awesome!

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I just need a little convincing once in a while. I have been so pleased with the "old" way of doing steaks - 3 minute sear each side, 3-4 minute dwell - that I just dismissed the TRex method discussed here so much lately. Well, last night I picked up a couple of really nice KC strips, each almost 2" thick. I fired up the small to 750 degrees and seared them for 2 minutes each side, let 'em rest for 20 minutes and back on for 3 minutes per side at 400 - WOW! These were the best KC strips I have ever had. I can't wait to try it on a couple of filets.

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    SteveO,[p]I'm a believer! [p]QBabe
    :~)

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    SteveO,[p]I tried the T-rex methods on some choice NY strips last night (about 1 inch thick) on my small BGE and wasn't that impressed. I seared for 1 1/2 minutes a side, removed the steaks for about 20 minutes, and then cooked at a dome temp of 400* to an internal temp of 140*. I did not use any mesquite. Could it have been that these steaks weren't thick enough for this method to shine?
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I don't get good results with steaks 1" thick using the "regular" method. IMO 1" is just too thin.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    JK,[p]1" steaks just don't produce great results, in my opinion. A hard sear on both sides of a 1" thick steak and you've almost cooked it to medium-rare already. [p]Try again with 1.75" thick prime NY strip. Make sure the meat is at or near room temperature before you start the searing - this step is of understated importance![p]Good luck![p]TRex