Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grids...I guess I just don't get it

Options
VaDave
VaDave Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here's my question....[p]When many of you talk about using a raised grid, you mention that you're putting a drip pan underneath the raised grid. But doesn't that basically turn it into an indirect cook? And if so, why not use a plate setter, or some firebricks?[p]Don't get me wrong, one of the neat things about this board is that everybody has their own style of doing things, and over time we all pick up ideas from others and adapt them to our own needs. But I'm just curious about this one.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    VaDave,
    When I used a raised grid, I'm usually using it direct. Like you say, since I have plate setter, when I want to cook direct, I use the PS and put the grid on the legs. If you don't have a plate setter, I guess you could put a grid on the fire ring, a drip pan on the grid, and then the rasied grid over the drip pan and accomplish indirect cooking that way. But, I think I always am cooking direct on a raised grid.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Spatchcock_Chicken1.jpg
    <p />VaDave,[p]As the Whiz points out, raised grid just means raising the grid. I used a couple of fire bricks to raise my grid for these spatchcock chickens. That was before I built one using the Whiz's guidence posted on his site.[p]The Whiz is a wealth of What's What and Wisdom.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    VaDave,[p]The drip pan does make the cook an indirect one. We use the pan rather than bricks when the meat will produce alot of drippings, like low and slow pulled pork or a bacon wrapped pork loin.