Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There has been several posts about raised grids (i have one and like it). Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to adding a 2nd fire ring so you always have a raised grid?

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Smokey ,
    The oly disadvantage I can see is if you want to cook at the original level, you would have that heavy dirty firering to handle. It is much easier to remove an extra grid.[p]~nikki

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Smokey,[p]What performs best for you? The grill at the standard position or at the elevated position? Why?
    [/b]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]On the large, The regular hight is fine for most things. On the Mini, A raised grid is best!
  • Smokey ,[p]Exactly my thought also! We wanted to cook some T-bones the other night and our daughter wanted burgers. I decided to do both, stopping at 400 degrees for the burgers, with the idea of raising the temperature to 650 for the steaks later using the direct method. It was a pain to flip the burgers, since they were down in the cavity, using the direct method. A second fire ring would have raised the whole presentation up to and even with the hinge and made it easier to do both while still using the direct method. Anyone have any other suggestions? (Please note I’m still new) Marty