Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New LBGE owner ? on ring screws

zipur74zipur74 Posts: 48
edited 2:44PM in EggHead Forum
I just got a new large BGE for a gift from my son in law who soon will be in Afghanistan. While tightening the screws on the lift assist spring clips two of them snapped. Where can I pick up replacements? (the closest dealer an hour away)


  • Are you talking about the carrige bolt that tightens the bands? And where are you located?
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Your nearest hardware store should be able to handle that.Just take the old ones with you and tell them you want some better than the snapped ones. ;) SS or Grade 8.I think the ones that come with the egg are Grade 5. :) JMHO.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

    The 8 bolts that hold the bands to the hinge are sometimes hard to find. I don't know why but I can never remember their specific name. Hopefully someone will jump in with the proper name for those bolts.

    The 2 band bolts are easy to find.

    Let us know which bolts you are looking to find.

  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    ? I never knew what that meant. :huh:
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    No Text - I posted in the wrong place and I can't figure out how to delete the entire post so ~NT~.

  • zipur74zipur74 Posts: 48
    you are correct it is the 8 bolts. I guess Im off to Ace Hardware when I get free.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Those bolts have tapered heads and (not sure of the proper term) ridges so they will 'bind' into the metal and won't turn when securing the nut.

    I will see if I can dig up the name somewhere.

    Too much muscle behind the wrench?

  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    They are 1/4" x 5/8" clinch studs. There are a lot of different styles of heads. The ones you want are tapered head.

    If you can, take one with you when looking for replacements.

    Be careful you don't loose the dome if you take off the bands and be careful with the hing as there is some force from the spring assists.

  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    they are clinch studs, and they are actually not that rare around here. forget the big box stores. you need a little old hardware store with that aisle where you can buy a screw all by itself.

    thanks to the big box boys, those are getting rare.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Got it.Thanks. ;)
  • Ex-GasmanEx-Gasman Posts: 287
    Same thing happen to me. Could not find them anywhere. Called BGE and that took almost two weeks to get them. And I live in NC and BGE is in Ga. Feel sorry for the poor ole dude on a donkey bringing those up the mountain. Anyway I went to Lowes got a machine screw the same size and ground the head down to the same size as original and works perfect. When I get a chance I will swap it out with what BGE sent me.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.