Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advise on a plate-setter

Options
Bushman
Bushman Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks! I've been lurking this forum the past few months. While I may be a newbie to this forum, I've been cooking on my egg for almost 8 years. One of the many good idea's I picked up from this forum is on the use of a platesetter so I purchased one this week. Any thoughts, tips, or input on what I might expect when I use it this weekend?? Thanks in advance.. Bushman

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Bushman,[p]What will you be cooking? You can use the platesetter legs up or down. So It depends on what's cookin'
  • Bushman
    Options
    Smokey ,I'm not sure what I'll be cooking yet. I guess I need input on what works best in each position. In the past when cooking indirect I used an extra grill and pizza stone

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bushman,
    one thing i've noticed is that due to the additional ceramic mass of the platesetter, i need to keep the vents significantly more open to operate at the same temps as without the plate setter in . .. i.e. if i want to 'bake' something at 350 w/ platesetter rather than have food at 350 direct, i have the bottom vent open almost an inch more than i would if cooking direct, and the daisy wheel will be open more as well to maintain the same heat. . .[p]you may need to experiment a little to get temps where you want them when you have been used to setting vents in a certain way, but man, it is a great tool for doing indirect cooks, pizza's etc. ..

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Bushman,[p]I cook with legs up (drip pan in center) and grill on top for low-n-slow. Legs down for pizza, bread and baking things!