Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

big brisket help

xrayjdm
xrayjdm Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on doing my first brisket for the 4th. My local butcher has a 17lb brisket ready for me. My question to all of my experienced bbq brothers is...Should I remove the point and just use the flat since its such a large cut? From what I've read the point will need to be cooked further after the flat is finished anyway.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you can leave it intact if you want to. line the front and back insides of the egg and just scrunch it in. about halfway thru the cook it will be shrinking anyways and it might just fit at that point.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Since you are getting a packer, I wouldn't. You will separate the point from the flat when the flat hits temperature but until then cook together.

If the packer is too long put something under it in the center so it will fit on the grid. Once the brisket has shrunk you can remove whatever you used to lift the center.

GG
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    You don't say what you're cooking on but mine I must drape over my rib rack. The last one I had to foil the ends to keep them off the sides of the egg. Let us know how it turns out.

DSC08884.jpg

After it shrinks some, you may be able to remove the rib rack or whatever you have it drapped on to make room.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I don't seperate. I will cook whole. Good info about large "beast" brisket on my site. http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket

BTW, welcome to the forum. Where are you from? What size egg do you have? Medical field? I am a nosey Bubba aren't I? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    I'm just a novice here, but I'd like to be successful with brisket. I've read lots of brisket preps. Tried several, and know that brisket can be a difficult cook. Got OK results, it's just for family and friends, not for competition, so if it tastes good, I'm happy. I think, bubba tim has a great site/recipe. My next one will be his recipe and technique. I do believe, you must know your how your "grill" cooks and able to control the temps. The spice/rub, smoke wood, etc. will be all up to you, and give it your special character.
  • xrayjdm
    Thanks for the info. I plan on checking out your site now
    I live in the Boston area, manage a radiology department in a community hospital and my wonderful wife gave me a Large Green Egg for Christmas.

I love to cook and think I was dispalced at birth :blink: because I love bbq and should have lived in the south. My wife wants to move to the Carolina's :whistle:
    Bye the way..how many people do you think a 17lb brisket will feed? :unsure:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hey Franklin,
    How many peeps will a 17 lbs feed? Well by the time you smoke it, it will be about 9 lbs. If I was there, it would feed two, you and me. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Figure you can do 1/3 lbs servings or about 25 servings.

LC(Little Chef), da wife, is from Hingham, MA FYI. If you run into any problems, get on the forum or shoot me an email. Hope to meet ya'll in Atlanta in Oct. :woohoo: :lol: :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • xrayjdm
    My first brisket was a success! Outside of the fact that I timed it poorly the results were fantastic. I put the brisket on at midnight and it didn't reach 190 degrees for 24 hours. It rested for one our by which time all but one guest had left our party( that guest has an Egg also and waited patiently).

We proceeded to gorge ourselves on what was a tender, flavorful meal.

Bubba Tim I have family that live in Hingham and met someone who met both yourself and LC. I'm told LC creates quite a line at Eggfests. :cheer: I hope to make it to one soon.

Thanks to all for you advise :)