Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Toppings

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to expand my base pizza recipe. Any suggestions for unique toppings, sauce, etc?

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It would be helpful if you listed what you consider normal topping.

We love to have grilled pineapple on top of a white pizza (pesto base instead of sauce, cheese, toasted pine nuts, grilled chicken).
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    To me anything besides anchovies,pepperoni,and Italian sausage, is just not pizza. -RP
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    It depends on what you are looking for.

Something simple is no sauce, toms, fresh basil, garlic and cheese..

extreme....teriyaki sauce, then duck breast, green peppers, bamboo shoots and not cheese.

My favorite to make is to take a simple sauce and add pineapple to that and cook it for a while. Put the sauce on the dough then put Canadian bacon, jalapenos, slice radish very thin than top off with cheese and more jalapenos.

A great one for kids is a hotdog/hamburger pizza. I take burger meat and cook it ....the sauce is mustard and ketchup mixed...put the burger on then slice up some hotdogs then add cheddar cheese..

One that will knock your socks off is

Take a pizza dough and bake it plain. Take some cream cheese and add in some cinnamon then put that on the crust. Slice up some mission figs and put that on top of the cream cheese mixture. On top of the figs add prosciutto ham. Now take some clover honey and drizzle that over the top of everything. Next take a couple of leaves of basil and slice very thin. Put back in the egg to warm.

Every time I do this people will stuff their faces with it.
  • icemncmth
    AZRP wrote:
    To me anything besides anchovies,pepperoni,and Italian sausage, is just not pizza. -RP

To the Italians that wouldn't be a pizza!! :woohoo:

So you are saying that if I invited you over and cooked up different pizzas...you wouldn't eat them?!?! :evil:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    chourico or linguica is good if you like grease. if you like pepperoni the italian deli unsliced stuff with the white mold is way superior to the presliced stuff. just a little cheese and fresh basil will alwatys be my favorite though. something mentioned here a while back is to get your cheese from the deli as its not coated with starch like the stuff pregrated in the bags.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • icemncmth
    fishlessman wrote:
    chourico or linguica is good if you like grease. if you like pepperoni the italian deli unsliced stuff with the white mold is way superior to the presliced stuff. just a little cheese and fresh basil will alwatys be my favorite though. something mentioned here a while back is to get your cheese from the deli as its not coated with starch like the stuff pregrated in the bags.

I never buy pre-sliced cheese or meats. I made a pizza one day for a friend that wanted something different on his pizza. I made a bbq sauce out of plums and put on some tandoori chicken with fresh herbs and then drizzled a very little kremefresh on top of that.

I made a pizza one night with cocktail sauce then put shrimp and crab on top of that and a little Bay seasoning then put fresh Motz on top of that.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    heres one that slightly overboard, was real good though :laugh:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=640521&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Dude, you make damn good pizza, but you are a little far from my neighborhood. -RP
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    AZRP wrote:

To me anything besides DOP San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, sea salt, EVOO and fresh basil is not pizza.....though I have been known to toss some finely minced fresh garlic on top now and then when I'm feeling adventurous.

and anything in the dough besides flour, salt and water is also an imperfection...I don't even add yeast - only the wild yeast that lives in the flour and water starter dough that I use.

Pizza is a perfect food...why mess with perfection? :lol:;)
  • db
    db Posts: 37
    Pizza001.jpg
    Maurices Mustard sauce, Polish sausage, Provalone.
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Thanks to all who posted replies/suggestions! I'll try to post some pics with what I come up with.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    I don't have an egg yet so this is given in oven terms but I KNOW it can be done by BGE --

squish some garlic (I use a LOT of garlic) into olive oil and let it sit for about an hour or so to get the flavors thru it -- then put shrimp on a tray and drizzle the oil over it - sprinkle with kosher salt and roast at 400 for about 6 minutes until they make C's not O's (O's are overdone) we generally serve some that night in a salad with Thousand Island Dressing (I do a 2lb bag at a time) then the next night I make a pizza and cook the dough for about 8 minutes - take it out and spread some alfredo sauce around on it the lay shrimp (cut up if they are large) on that put cheese on it and bake -- really yummy. Or you can do it just as a shrimp scampi style pizza with just drizzling more oil and garlic on the dough then the shrimp and cheeses ....

Like I said these are oven times so you will have to adjust but I am sure you all can do that with no problems

the most hellacious storm is over me now - lightening strikes all around - and rain and wind like a hurricane - I'm on battery so no worries there But FD is going crazy running to different alarms -
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    duplicate - sorry