Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When is brisket done?

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm 11 hours into my first brisket cook (8 lb. trimmed packer's cut). The internal temp is now 180* (with a dome temp of 240-250*). When is it done? My plan is to do the "fork test" when the internal temp hits 190*. After that, I'm still deciding between two final steps I've read about: (a) waiting 20 min. and slicing against the grain, and (b) wrapping in foil and towels and putting it in a cooler for 1 hr. Any advice about final steps would be appreciated.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JK,[p]I would try a fork test now. It isn't quite done yet, but overcooking will make the meat stick to the fork also. It should slide easily from the fork at 185-192°F internal. I think wrapping and waiting does produce a slightly better end result. Definitely slice thinly across the grain for serving.[p]Sound like things are doing well.[p]Spin