Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts Part 2

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2_Boston_Butts.jpg
<p />Finally I get to try out my new contraptions. My new raised grid, compliments to the Naked Whiz web site, and my new Maverick wireless dual probe smoker/meat thermometer (thanks to Jslot for the recomendation).[p]I have a pair of 7 lb. Boston Butts on the egg stablized at 240. I rubbed them in this morning with mustard and applied some rub I picked up at Burton's Sausage Market (it was great on ribs).[p]I cleaned out my egg this morning and put in only the big chunks of B&B charcoal with some soaked hickory chunks.[p]I'll be sleeping on the couch because the wireless receiver does not work back in my bedroom and I'm too paranoid that the fire will go out. It shouldn't though, cause I followed TNW's instructions to the letter. :)[p]I intend to pull them off around 11:30 tomorrow morning to wrap in foil to put in a cooler to take to a pool party. We'll be pulling the pork on site.[p]Hopefully the reviews will be good.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    You have a great start going there! Looks good, and things seem on target.[p]You should be very popular tomorrow when you show up with that pair. Good luck, and sleep light....[p]Mike in MN

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Thanks. It's raining finally here in Austin, TX and the wireless thermometer is really coming in handy now.[p]I went out and made a aluminum foil tent to keep the rain out of the daisy wheel vent and it's working great.[p]Now it's time to kick back, have a beer, & watch a movie or two while keeping an eye on the meat temp and dome temp. displayed on the remote in my living room.[p]It's going to be a long night.[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I too, used to stay up all night in fear of the dreaded fire going out. After over 25 all nighters, I have only had one fire go out and that was in the dead of winter in 10 degree weather.
    Have faith in your fire and the Egg will take care of the rest. Enjoy the party! Mac

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]I had fun last night. Things were going great till about 3:00 AM when my thermometer started beeping. My temp had dropped to 190. I felt like being a fireman again, jumping out of bed, but this time only to get a fire going again.[p]It was on and off a couple of times till about 6:00 AM. My egg sits on a large tile on my patio and it rained all night long. I had it stabilized around 5 AM between naps on the couch and I went to bed around 7 to catch up on some sleep. My Maverick ET-73 beeped again at 9:30 as the temp was dropping fast. I opened the egg for the first time since 4:00 PM yesterday and the fire was basically out. There was a good deal of ash and I think it just snuffed itself out even though the bottom vent was open about 1.5 inches.[p]I pulled the butts off since they are on my handy dandy raised grid, quickly stirred the ash to the bottom, relit some of the leftover coals with my MAPP torch, and put things back in place. Total time to relight was about 3 minutes.[p]This was the first time I've ever used B&B and I'm disappointed in the amount of ash left. I used Ozark before and it is much better. [p]Next time, I'll try a new charcoal out on steaks or chicken before doing a low and slow.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Sounds like a dirty job....You can do it![p]We haven't had rain for over a month. It's bad dry here. On the good side, it has reduced the mosquito population for part of the summer (I said "reduced") but we have not had anything for rain...so a good gulley gusher would help green things up....just in time for fall. In fact, there are trees with the leaves turning already....it's coming![p]Mike in MN