Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs...need help.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm smoking pork loin ribs at 220 with plate setter and drip pan. Meat probe is going up quickly and they haven't been on that long. Is my meat probe in the wrong spot? And, what temp should it read before they are considered done. Last time, I smoked 'em for 5 1/2 hours and they had a quarter inch of bone showing... best ribs ever. But I have to go somewhere, and I'm concerned about the thermometer rising so fast. Any help is greatly appreciated.[p]Regards,
B.A.

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    B.A.,
    No contestants use a thermometer. They decide "doneness" strictly by feel.[p]Pick the slab up at midpoint with your tongs. When they bend freely, they are done...usually 4 to 6 hours @ 225.[p]Ribs with bone showing are downgraded by judges. They are either overcooked or boiled before smoking.[p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    B.A.,
    I'd remove the thermometer and go by sight and feel. The meat is too thin to accurately manage, or the probe could be touching a bone. [p]It sounds like you got 'em right the first time...go with it the same way this try.[p]Mike in MN