Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Giving DP a run for the money

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently received my full assortment of DP rubs and decided I'd give several a try. So I picked up a huge, over 2" thick bone-in ribeye (for me!!), a nice thick tenderloin for the misses and a wee little tenderloin for the little squirt. The were allowed to get to room temperature while sporting the pictured DP rubs.

meatandrubs.jpg

While they were sitting there I got my LGBE up to 650*.

650.jpg

thefire.jpg

thefire2.jpg

The steaks were seared 30 seconds per 1/2 inch thickness (about 2 minutes/side) then pulled, and the Egg temp was dropped to 400*.

afterthesear.jpg

400.jpg

Out of curiosity I checked the temp of the ribeye and larger tenderloin immediately after they were pulled from the searing stage.

ribeyeaftersear.jpg

tenderloinaftersear.jpg

While the meat rested (for 20 minutes) I prepared my boiled new potatos. They were boiled to fork tenderness, then mashed onto an oiled cast iron skillet. They were topped with more olive oil, kosher salt and pepper, then rosemary (Crash Hot Potatos). The taters were then placed onto the Egg, and after they were there for a while I put the steaks back on to roast.

taters.jpg

Once the steaks were done (around 145 internal) they were pulled to rest and romaine lettuce with EVOO, salt and grated parmesan cheese was seared about 90 seconds/side.

romaine.jpg

For desert, and in order to try another DP rub, I cooked some grilled pineapple with DP Pineapple Head.

pineapple.jpg

This was served with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup, which the little one gobbled hungrily. I barely had a chance to capture this next photo because she was all up in it!

pineappleicecream.jpg

The steaks were cooked perfectly for our taste, although I'll admit that after all of the hype I've read about the DP rubs, I was a bit disappointed. Namely, none of the steaks had a very strong flavor. I thought I had applied a liberal amount of rub, but clearly I could have added more. Please don't misunderstand, the flavor was good, but it was too subtle. When I used to grill steaks on my gasser I would add garlic salt and Season-All and we really liked the flavor of that combination. I think next time I'll just add more DP and see how it comes out.

The pineapple, on the other hand, was just killer and I really enjoyed the Pineapple Head kick of heat.

Sorry I didn't have pics of the food plated and the meat cut. My wife already thinks I'm a lunatic for photographing food on the Egg, but then again she hasn't acquired the addiction to BGE cooking like I have. I hope you enjoyed viewing this meal as much as I enjoyed preparing it.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Mike, Thanks for the post, and the pics! As far as your wife thinking you're a lunatic....get her into the forum and egging as well! :laugh: Just ask Bubba Tim... :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle:
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Nice looking meal mojo! That reminds me I need to order some more DP :ohmy: You know when I cooked some huge TBones last weekend I put the same amount of Cowlick on as I did the 1/2 inchers tonight and tonights were much stronger tassting than the thicker ones. I also forgot to add a pat of butter while they are resting which I defintely think helps mellow everything out and gives it a great all around taste. Tonights were very peppery tasting unlike last weeks. They looked to be 1" thick when frozen but didn't turn out that way at all. Well nice cook and happy egging, don't worry my wife has thought I am weird for so long she doesn't even think anything of me taking pictures of egg cooks.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Could be a couple things. One your palate is used to your old stand by rub. Could be the thicker cut of meat as mentioned. Could be you just don't care for the rub you chose. Everyone has different tastes.

I like to put the RTS into a coffee grinder to make it finer myself. Try mixing it with some Cowlick too.

H
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    That's a good looking cook! I need to try the smashed taters one of these days.

As to the DP, as was suggested, everyone has a different taste pallet. I love RTS pressed in to the steak and then I put them in a container with some olive oil, garlic salt, worscheshire (sp?) sauce, and onion powder (really starting to enjoy the onion powder). My family really likes this combination but what matters to the most if finding what does the trick for you.

Happy Eggin'!

BD
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Options
    Great looking cook. Dont hesitate to use a little more rub, particularly with Raising the Steaks. Your post reminded me that I need to order some more. :woohoo:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i use rubs on steak only after searing.

salt is the only thing that won't burn, because it is a mineral. everything else will be toasted by a direct sear. ...and dizzy pig, though they use some salt, is far less salty than most commercial rubs

FWIW

next time, try salt only for the "room temp" rest, and add the DP for the second part of the cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think we are used to a saltier rub (I mean come on, garlic salt and Season-All, sheesh!) and I failed to consider the low salt content of the Dizzy rubs. Next time I will experiment more and try applying the salt first, mixing CL with RTS, and other nice suggestions that have been mentioned. Again, don't get me wrong, the meal was excellent, I just want to be able to optimize my results with these highly acclaimed rubs.

As an aside, I just realized that everything I cooked last night was new for me. Before I got the Egg 2 months ago, I never would have made steaks on anything other than a gasser, never would have tried DP rubs, never would have made smashed taters, and certainly never would have thrown lettuce on the grill! I love this forum and my BGE!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Good info Stike. I will be trying that soon. I've always been a season first kinda guy.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    What a nice dinner. Look how far you have come in just two months. Way to go.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey Mike,

My wife and kids would always poke fun at me when I first started photographing the food coming off the BGE. Now, it's just routine.

Your cook looks really good! I really like the TRex method of cooking steaks, and it is the only way I cook it since I figured out how to do it. If you like cooking steaks (and other food) at high temps, I'd highly recommend a cast iron grate. It makes a world of difference when cooking.
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks for the praise FGG but I have a long way to go. I draw a lot of inspiration from the cooks that you and others post. It's great to have the support of experienced and kind folks like yourself.

BB A cast iron grate is on my ever-growing list of Eggcessories. I think first I'll get an adjustable rig/spider, then a DigiQ, and then go for the cast iron grate. Oh, and then there's the FoodSaver, the meat freezer, the Lawn Ranger fighting tools, the MAPP torch, eggcetera eggcetera ...