Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot tubbing a steak?

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen several threads talking about hot tubbing a steak but never saw a full description of the process. Checked the Recipe section and didn't see one described by that name.

How is it done? Do you literally put it in a hot tub? If so, how is it wrapped? Although I do have a hot tub, I also have the luxury of having a Rinnai tankless hot water system that allows me to dial in a temp. If 104 is the desired temp, I could simply fill my sink with 106 tap water (allowing for some cool down) and then later refill with some more water until I have it stabilized at 104. Again, though how do I wrap and what else do I need to know?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ziploc bag, no air, submerged in hot tapwater (mine is 140 or so). i leave it 20 minutes or so while i tend the egg, and if it cools off before the egg is up to temp, i'll replace the water.

i don't monitor internal temps or try to hold to 100 degrees. that was from the cook's illustrated article, and they spoke about warming the steak and the benifits of the enzymes creating some of the same flavors that wet aging does.

my purpose for doing it is solely to elevate the internal temp of the steak. it's like doing the Xert process, where the internal temp is raised before the sear.

when i tosos the steak on it's about 100 to 105 internal, at least the couple times i bothered to check it.

after that, it's just a sear.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    i think using an actual hot tub is a little barf-inducing, given the types of bacteria that like to hang out in water that's at 104 or so. sure, chlorine and chemicals are involved, but if it is on the bag, it can get on the meat.

some folks have gotten some funky bacteria infections from hot tubs....

keep the steak in the kitchen
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Freddie,

Though some have posted pics with their steak floating in a true hot tub (with their 'personal' rubber duckies :ohmy: ), most of us just place them in the sink with hot tap water.

I have not been "brave enough" to heat mine to 100+, but I do put them in 85-95* water for 45 min. or so. Mine are in vacuum bags, so it is easy to toss in the sink. Others squeeze the air out of a ziplock and put that in the sink (with or without first seasoning the steak).

Then you follow the TRex method of a HOT sear. A 20 minute rest, then a 400* roast until your desired internal temp is reached. Hope that helps.

Now I'm getting hungry! :woohoo:
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks guys. Just a couple more ?'s:

If I take the meat to about 100 degrees or so internal about how long do I sear to reach a Med/rare inside? (Assume 650 for the sear.) Will I need to still do the shutdown or will it be ready to take off? I had thought hot tubbing replaced the shut down mode but I am seeing some still roast for a while.

All the advice is greatly appreciated.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Depends on your starting temp. Out of curiousity, I checked the temps a couple of times and a 120 sec. high temp sear raised the internal temp about 10 degrees on 2" ribeyes. Other thicknesses and cuts of meat might give different results.
  • stike
    Options
    the purpose of shutting down is to allow the internal temp of the meat to stop raising, and settle in at a stable temp.

since that is already achieved with the soak, i just sear right away.

i don't believe the rest (20 minute rest as the grill reaches the next desired temp) "relaxes" the muscle or anything like that. but resting the meat before putting it on the plate (after the thing is cooked) is still a good idea. the proteins will relax and won't squeeze out as much moisture when you cut into it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've checked the internal temp of the steak coming out of the "tub," and I've had between 110 and 120 for the meat. The rub is rather meltey by that time. Then my usual method is 30 seconds per 1/2" per side (4 minutes for a 2" steak) I've had results between 125 and 135. So its pretty much sear, let it rest while getting the rest of the food on the plate, and enjoy.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yes, I should have disclosed the type of steak. Most typically a 2" ribeye.

I will probably try this on Friday.

Freddie
    League City, TX