Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Tong Scallops

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Attempted to sear fresh sea scallops at 650. Had put them onto wooden skewers also coated them olive oil. Only planned on 30 seconds per side however several broke up at turning (this happened last time also)and fell through grate into the hot coals! After 15 seconds of horrific language I grabbed a pair of long tongs and fished them out. They were just fine and didn't even have soot on them! There must be a better way of grilling these on the Egg without using a basket? I might be cooking at too high a temp for such a delicate food? Any thought on process would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Charbon,
    I have never cooked scallops, but I would think you would need something under them on the grate to keep them from falling through. Maybe you could use a fish/veggie grid instead of a basket. Or maybe take a second grate and turn it so the bars criss-cross with the bottom grate, making smaller openings. I have also seen people use two skewers when doing seafood, so they don't spin on the skewers. Just some ideas...maybe one of them will help.[p]~nikki

• Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    Options
    Charbon,
    I just made scollops two nights ago. I briefly marinated them in lemon juice, olive oil, fresh herbs and a little salt and pepper. I used a grill topper, which was preheated as my egg got up to the 700 degree range. I used a small towel soaked in cooking oil to grease the topper. Be careful here, at 700 this tends to flame up. Use long tongs. Then I tossed the scallops on. Don't touch them for 1 min 30 sec. Then turn. Don't touch them for another 1 min 30 sec. Remove. We had them on a salad with a light dressing.
    Poncho

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Charbon,
    If you have two grids, use both of them and turn one 180 degrees across the other to make a small opening in the grids. Should keep most things from falling through.
    Bob