Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Medium for 2nd Egg?

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am definitely an egghead. I have owned a large egg for 10 months and am starting to think about purchasing a second egg. Most of the time it is the 2 of us going to 3 with our son home for the summer with no college clsses. Looking for input on buying a small or a medium. Want to be able to make side dishes (appetizers) while the main course is cooking on the large, as well as using the smaller one when it is only the 2 of us for a smaller meal. I thought I saw something recently about a problem with starting or controlling temps with the medium egg?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I like the large/ small combo. Never had a medium so I can't speak for that one.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I started with a small and that was what I was used to. I found it is alot like a sailboat, bigger is easier.
    My 2cents is get another large and you will not have to spend several hundred dollars on all the neat stuff (you have it)....
    The large is easier to use and control...
    Most of the time it is only 2 of us at home.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Got my large a year ago. For my 2nd egg I debated between small and mini, ended with the small. Medium never crossed my mind because it's too close in size to a large. My third(?) will probably be another large, like Mickey said it can share all the accessories with the first.
    canuckland
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I have two larges. If I ever get a third it will be a XL. I like that I can use all of my eggcessories between both eggs. My fourth egg will probably be a small for the travel trailer that I would to have, but is in the way distant future. :(
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I own a large and small.

Small is easy to take along with. Can go in front seat of car with seatbelt(wrapped in old blanket of course).

Medium cooks more like a Large than it does a small. It has the same size draft door. The small is unique all its own.

I use my small more as a grill, and the large as a smoker & pizza oven.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    You use yours just the way I do. Small is mostly for grilling. I originally bought my small just to tailgate. It works great for all my secondary dishes. A medium is too big for me.

For you all with small families, what do you cook that you need a second large for???
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ron I am not sure if it is only because my large is new, but I use it more now than I was using my small that I have had for the past 2 years. I find it lights quicker and holds temp better. Makes me look like a better cook ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    PA Dutch Egger,

As others have said, the large/large is an ideal combination. If you want to transport..not so much.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    I've owned all 5 sizes, bigger is better.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    Recently decided to get a second one myself, I now have two large eggs. I found a price I could not pass up. The other nice thing about two the same size is that they can share accessories. Maybe Im crazy.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    The replies to this questin are always very predictable. You get one of two answers depending on what setup folks have. Large/Small is the best, or Large/Large is the best. Both are probably true :). I started with a Medium for about 2 1/2 years. Wanted a second and added the Large. Love em both. I aready had all the hardware for my Medium since it was my first Egg, so that wasn't an issue for me. You can see GrandpasGrub for most of the "problems with the Medium" posts you see here (no disrespect meant GG). My Medium is about 10 years old now, is only on its second gasket, and I have none of the problems he outlines. Whatever your choice, you'll be very happy I'm sure. Go for it!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    With just 2 of us I love my mini. Did supper last night 2 bnls. pork chops a slice of butt 1 corn obnn the cob and 1 baked potato.
    All firt great and cooked great.
    E
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have a large and medium.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have had a medium for a couple of years and absolutely love it. It uses little lump, can cook 15 lbs butt or a whole packers cut brisket. Mainly cook for my wife and I and it is just the right size. If I planned on having an egg to go camping etc., I would get a small. The medium is still substantial to bring traveling.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Large and Small. For the infrequent times I need to tailgate I lug a Lodge cast iron hibachi along. Not doing any low and slow cooking that require an egg. Anyway since my wife's idea is of camping is a weekend in the Pierre in Manhattan, it would be tough sneaking an Egg past the the front desk.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Make space for the Mini somwhere along the line....a great complement to the large.....We are 3 in the family & that's our present combination.....love it!!
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    I have a large and a small, and totally recommend getting the small. I have a wife and 4 growing boys (11,9,6,2), and routinely cook for all of us on the small. It can fit 6 burgers, 16 dogs, 2 pork tenderloins easily, whole chickens, large butts, small pizzas with the 8" stone, and of course tons of other things.
    The real reason I recommend it to you is ease of transport. I can easily handle the small without help and without taking it apart. The large is a completely different story. It would be hard to do this with the medium by yourself.
    kiawah09003.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hitch....I see your point.....but let me tell you my situation is very different from yours.....I can barely lift the Mini.. :laugh: :laugh: :blush::whistle:
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I have a large and a medium. I've found that I use the medium much more often than the large. Now I'm sure that will change as my kids get older...I'm on the other end of the spectrum....my kids are just starting kindergarten and preK.

Like others have said, you can still do some sizable, indirect cooks on the medium.

fc
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I think the mini is chubbier than you too.. :woohoo:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    The perfect compliments for having two eggs is

XL and Medium
    Large and Small
    Medium and Mini

Works out to be about perfect for folks.
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hey Hitch!
    Where did you get that egg hitch?
    I want one!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I now have 6 months experience with my small and I am very happy with it. Most of the time my cooks are just for one but I plan leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day. It is very thrifty with lump, I cooked 3X a week for 4 months on one twenty pound bag. If I were cooking for 4 regularly I would have steered toward the medium, 1 to 3 the small works great, and I can still put a 7 or 8 pound pork butt on there for 12 hours and have people over.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    I went through the same thing about 2 months ago, settled with the medium simple for the grid space and to travel with me too.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    We started with a Small and added a Large soon afterwards. We just added a Mini. The steps in size are big enough that the right Egg for the job is almost always obvious.