Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Wood Chips

Options
Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read recently that you can soak your wood chips, then freeze them, so if you decide to cook something at the last minute you can throw the frozen chips right in without waiting for them to soak.

Has anyone ever tried this? How did it work out?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There is no reason to soak them. Just toss them on dry and you'll be fine.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    with a ceramic cooker there is no reason to soak the chips, we just toss them in dry B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    No need to soak wood chip at all. So why waste the electricity freezing them..

Lump burns at 1200+ degrees. Water boils at 212 degs (even from a frozen state). All you are doing in producing steam.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no need to soak anyway.... not in a BGE
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2cats
    2cats Posts: 34
    Options
    Reverend BSB wrote:
    I read recently that you can soak your wood chips, then freeze them, so if you decide to cook something at the last minute you can throw the frozen chips right in without waiting for them to soak.

Has anyone ever tried this? How did it work out?

Yes. Great.

Sometimes wood chips get soaked with liquid flavoring agents.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I like to use JD's oak barrel chips when I'm doing a long & slow cook. I just toss a handful of them (dry) over the lump every 30 minutes or so an let 'em do their 'thang' (a term I learnt in Texas yars ago). : - )
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    I soak my woodchips; I find it interesting that so many do not.

I read some were that you can soak your woodchips in boiling water if you only have 5 or 10 minutes before you need to use them. I have not tried that yet. But will next time if pressed for time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The only thing I soak is my thirst with a cold beer or ten :woohoo:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I don't soak my chips but I do keep a stash of frozen bamboo skewers that I soaked for 24 hours before freezing. No burnt skewers here!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    now thats actually a good idea, might even work for planks if you ran them under warm water just before using them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    YOu don't need to soak chips or chunks that will go in the egg. They will only flame up when the egg is open. When the egg is closed the lump and chips (or chunks) are only getting enough oxygen to smolder.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now that is a good idea.Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.