Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! Houston, we have a problem! Brisket temp dropping!

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night was my first overnighter - a 6-7 lb brisket. Started it at 11 p.m. At 2 a.m. the dome temp was still holding steady at 230 or so, so I finally went to bed. Woke up at 6:30 and the dome temp was up to 275 and internal temp to 181, so I tweaked the vents down ever so slightly, went back to sleep. NOW, at 8:30, the dome temp was at about 190 and the internal temp had DROPPED to 176!! [p]Have I screwed this guy up? I cranked the dome temp back up to 300 to hopefully bring the temp back up. Should I be okay and should I still shoot for 200 internal??[p]Thanks for your help![p]TRex

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    TRex,
    I think you are probably OK. I have only done one brisket, so am far from an expert. But the one I did last weekend acted much the same as yours, only at lower temps. It stalled at 154° and eventually dropped all the way back to 143° and hung there for 8+ hours before it finally started moving back up. I'm not sure that you need the 300° to finish unless you are wanting to speed it up. Hopefully some of the more experienced brisket cookers will chime in here before too long.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    TRex,
    Morning!![p]Sounds like as long as you give'er a nudge back up (cranking up to 300 like you did)....once Mr. Brisket's internal temp starts moving back up....I'd back Mr. Egg off to about 250, and let'er ride![p]When's dinner?[p]Chubby[p]Eat heavy...Dress cool

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    TRex,
    I'd set the dome at 250-275 and let 'er go. I'd still pull at whatever temp you originally were going to. If the temp of the egg dropped, I'm not surprised that the meat temp fell too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    TRex,
    My experience has been not to bump it up too fast or you stand the chance of over cooking it. Unless you have a specific time that you plan to eat it I would keep it no more than 240° to 250°. Eventually, it will reach the temperature of the dome. My last brisket stalled at 157° and three hours later it was 154° in a very steady 230° dome. I was getting hungry and made the mistake of cracking the vent a bit. The dome got hotter but the brisket stayed at 153° to 154° for the next hour. I finally figured out that this must be one of those "Plateaus" someone mentioned a long time ago. The problem I run into is being able to predict the exact time to take a brisket off so that it rests for up to an hour before being eaten. My impatience also demands that I sample some right when it comes off the Egg. That always leads to "counter eat'n" until it's half gone. But I enjoy every bite of it. I say let the Egg do its thing. [p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Ditto on the "counter eat'n". I don't think my friends could last that long. I have to be careful not to drop the brisket from the cutting board, trying to carry it in, from all the hands grabb'n and pick'n. I'm sure I will eventually cut somebody's fingers while trying to slice the meat.[p]At least you know they're luv'n it.