Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Lowly Hamburger

Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We give a lot of attention to briskets, loins, spatchcock chickens, whole turkeys, lamb ribs, beef and baby back ribs, steaks of all shapes, cuts, and descriptions, fish whole and in parts, shrimp, the occasional other shellfish. What about the American backyard favorite, the lowly hamburger? In all the time I've been on the forum I don't think I've ever read good recommendations for Egged hamburgers.[p]How do you do them best? What type of hamburger? How hot and how long? (I go 500 dome for 4 min/side)[p]Surely some of us will confess to the occasional 'burger, now and again....[p]Bob V

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Bob:[p]Scroll down to July 16, and you will find two threads about burgers. If you do a google search on the archives you will find more.
    [/b]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Bob V,
    Yeah hamburgers do seem to be forgotten around here, but I also agree it is a great American outdoor cooking icon.
    Most everyone likes them, and they are easy!
    Someone posted a method they used (Sorry, I don't remember who posted it.) But it makes the best burgers I have ever tasted.!
    They said mix ground bacon to 2 parts hamburger and cook as usual, but it will really smoke a lot. ;)[p]I tried it (ground the bacon slices, added salt, garlic, pepper, onion powder) and then combined the meats by hand and cooked the meat in my normal way.

Without a doubt, the best burger's I have cooked. Cooked to well done to make sure the pork was OK but it was still juicy and very tasty.
    Thanks! to the person who first suggested this, and this is now my favorite burger prep method and everyone seems to like it. Try it, I bet you will like it. ;)
    later,
    ChefRD

• Hello ChefRD,[p]When you say bacon do you mean raw pig meat or smoked? I refer to bacon as smoked pork bellies (kind of like ham).[p]Regards,
    Hugh.

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Bob V,
    Try what I call the Joel Burger. This is a 2 1/2 pound burger.
    here is the link
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2003/messages/63522.htm

• ChefRD
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Hello, and sorry for the confusion. Yeah, I used regular smoked breakfast bacon (the cheapest and leanest I could find ;)).
    I agree with you, the word 'bacon' alone, means smoked pig belly to me too. :)
    I think you will really like this burger. Thanks again to whoever posted it![p]later,
    ChefRD

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ChefRD, so that's one pound of raw bacon to 2 pounds of raw beef? And when you say ground I assume like in a meat grinder - coarse or fine?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    ChefRD,
    I do burgers pretty regularly,(I think I'm addicted)and use a variation of the bacon recipe by cooking the bacon first and then crumbling it into the raw hamburger with what ever else you like(we use minced onion,sage,salt and pepper from a modified recipe out of a better homes and gardens "grilling" magazine).
    With the bacon being precooked you can grill the burgers normally with no worries, and as I'm sure Emeril would agree, there aren't many food that won't be improved by the addition of a little pork fat.[p]Cheers,Brian

• ChefRD
    Eggaholic,
    Thanks for the suggestion. It also sounds like a great way to use up left over cooked bacon. Maybe just freeze the leftovers and save them until you make up some burgers?
    Thanks again,
    ChefRD

• ChefRD
    RRP, (if this is a double post, sorry)
    Hi ron, yeah I use approximately 1 pound back per 2 pounds burger. It was also good when I used 3/4 # bacon per 1#.[p]I use the grinder plate with the smaller holes, but now you got me thinking? :)[p]Maybe next time I will use the larger hole size to see if the bacon is more pronounced. Yep I think thats what I will do. :)[p]thanks for asking,
    Ron.[p]