Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This week\'s pizza experiment

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried making Chicago style pan pizza last nite. Either the experiment went horribly wrong or I'm just not a fan. Followed a recipe posted here plus read up a little more on other web sites. Truth be told, I made them a little thicker than was directed, but I like thick crust. This stuff was the oily dough w/ semolina. What it made was a crust with a pretty golden edge and a crumb that could only be described as biscuit like. Don't think I will experiment anymore. Right now I have a batch of Zippy dough in the fridge for baking tomorrow. I hope this is OK, I divided the batch as soon as I finished kneading it and placed each ball in an oiled zip lock bag before putting in the fridge (not allowing it to rise at all). I plan on taking it out in the AM and letting it sit at room temp a couple of hours before baking. Think that will give it enough rise time?

I made one pizza a couple of weeks ago w/ Zippy dough, but I baked it in a pie crust pan like the Chicago style: cheese on bottom, sauce on top. Everyone liked it so that's why I tried a real Chicago style recipe. I think I'll make one like this tomorow and one rolled out for comparison. The pizzas my mother and Nonna made when I was young were just tomato pies: sauce, no cheese. I loved the taste of the sauce sitting right on top of the pie. My pseudo pan the other day reminded me of this style so I will again try cheese on the dough before saucing (w/ a little Parmesan on top). Bakeries in my hometown in Vermont still sell pizza by the slice in this style (plain tomato pies). Sometimes the simpler the better.