Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for 4 Boston Butts?

Options
VaDave
VaDave Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I'm trying to estimate the cook time for the BB's that I put on this morning. I know the general rule of thumb (2 hrs/lb over 6lbs, 3 hrs/lb under 6 lbs), but I'm not sure how it applies when I'm cooking 4 at once.[p]I have 4 boston butts, each approximately 6 pounds. So my total butt-tonnage is 24-25 pounds. But I know from past experience that it won't take 48-50 hours! So does anyone have a rule of thumb for this?[p]I've done 3 or 4 at once in the past, and I don't think it's ever taken more than 22 hours. And that was when I was keeping the dome temp around 200-225. This time, I'm keeping the dome in the 250-275 range. [p]Thanks in advance!
Dave

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    VaDave,[p]I would say cooking time will only be extended due to that you have more meat to absorb heat. Getting to desired dome temp will take longer, but as soon as dome temp is stable cooking time for meat will be the same from then on.[p]ST
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    VaDave,[p]One takes the same time, for the most part, as two or three. The problem comes when you get the pieces of meat touching each other so the heat can not circulate freely around them. Then they start acting like large cuts of meat rather than several small cuts. Make sure you have room around each for the heat to circulate. The 6 pounders are in that gray area between the 2.5hrs per pound 6 lb and below and the 3hrs per lb 7 lb and above so I would guesstimate 18-20 hrs total.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    VaDave,
    I just did 4 butts that average 8 pounds each. The dome temp was 260 and they took 16.5 hours.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smoke 'n Things
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Could you share your setup? Plate Setter? Double grid?[p]I have a couple of Boston Butts (around 7 lbs each) that I am going to this weekend. I have found that two are as easy to cook as one, now I am wondering if four can be as easy as two.[p]Smoke 'n Things

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    30pounds.jpg
    <p />Smoke 'n Things,
    Sure thing... I had the plate setter upside down with a drip pan on top of it. Then I had a grid on the plate setter with 2 butts, and then a grid extender on top of that with two butts on the grid extender. Here is a photo:[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • VaDave
    VaDave Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for your help everybody. And indeed, once you cook 2, you might as well do 3 or 4. [p]My former setup was: big grid, layer of firebricks, two bricks on edge supporting a top grid, with drip pan underneath. Then i used a roasting rack to hold 2 butts, with the other 2 tucked under the roasting rack.[p]This time, I'm using a plate setter, legs up, with a drip pan on it. Then the big rack, and I just piled the butts on it in a big heap. Probably not the best for airflow, but we'll see what happens. There's only so much setup I'm willing to do at 5am!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    30pounds.jpg
    <p />Oops.... Here is the photo.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz