Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg - Change Gasket????

Options
El Guapo
El Guapo Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put together my new XL egg on Tuesday night. In the box came an additional gasket set with a note in it stating that my egg was part of a batch that is known to have faulty gaskets. It also stated that the egg may not have a faulty gasket, but they included the gasket set as a convenience just in case.

I haven't fired the egg up yet and am wondering if it would be easier for me to just go ahead and replace the gasket before my first cook? The gasket was loose in a couple of spots when I got it out of the box. I pressed it back down and it has stayed put since. I guess I don't want to "bake" it on and make the replacement more difficult if it does need replacing...of course this could all be for naught as the gasket might be fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
David
El Guapo

Comments

• Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    Options
    I also just got a new xl about a month and a half ago. I have been cooking frequently on it. As many in forum can attest to, I had a freakout this past weekend because fire went out overnight and then when I re-lit the food was cooked way too quickly (temps very hard to manage... ). On Sunday I cooked w/ high heat to do burgers... 1st the egg didn't close right and proceeded to get worse. I called the dealer and he came out Monday morning. Turns out my felt gasket was completely blown (likely led to lid not closing well) and in addition the firebox was cracked straight through. Screws, nuts, etc. on lid had to be tightened as well. The dealer called BGE and they said that some of the new ones have had gasket & firebox problems. This morning they are replacing the gasket and the firebox, but using another type of gasket that can apparently withstand heat better. No matter what you do, I would make sure the extra gasket is close at hand!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    David,

I have an XL in the box and I think that is what I will do when I assemble it this weekend. There was a post a couple of days ago from Smokin Guitar Player that said the manufacturer of the new Nomex gasket suggests putting it in the clothes dryer for fifteen minutes to pre shrink it. If you don't ,he says, it will shrink on the egg.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Little Steven is absolutely right. I just replaced the Nomex on my XL and put it in the dryer for about 20 minutes on high heat. It shrank more than 1 1/2 inches. I then put the gasket on the Egg. So far there has been no more shrinkage. I did not do this on the large and I have about a 3/8 gap where the gaskets meet.
  • Davidg5700
    Davidg5700 Posts: 32
    Options
    I recently had to replace the gasket on my LG after having used it for a couple of months. In retrospect, there were indicators that it was going to blow. The inside edge of the gasket, in places, started to get crispy.

Mine was not terribly difficult to replace. The old gasket just peeled off and there really wasn't anything much to scrape off. After the peeling, I wiped the rim liberally with acetone, let it dry for a day and then sprayed it with 3M adhesive spray, let that get tacky for about 30 minutes and then applied the new gasket. I recessed the gasket about 1/16 th of an inch from the inside lip just to keep it slightly away from direct heat.

What I think may have done mine in was using the plate setter legs down to do pizza. It probably concentrated the heat right at the gasket :( causing the blow out.

I'd use the one you have on now and watch for signs that it is going to blow. You may get lucky and get a long run with it.
  • El Guapo
    Options
    Sounds like the recomendation is to go ahead and give the factory installed gasket a try.

If it blows, I assume the advice would be to replace with the extra gasket set that came with the egg.

Then if that one blows the Nomex would be the recomendation? I assume the Nomex is an aftermarket gasket?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Dang, I have that same gap. I wish I had known that in March. Oh, well it's why I come here. I'll know next time.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    mine came off on the 1st cook, If I open a new one
    now for a customer and it has the "SPARE" gasket I would put it on NOW and let it sit the 24 hours to set.

I just ordered new Nomex gaskets to stock also, looking forward to trying one. will definetly dry it 1st.
  • El Guapo
    Options
    So you would recomend going ahead and putting the replacement gasket on before the first cook? I will be cooking on Saturday and Sunday. If it the factory installed one does "blow" on Saturday and I have to wait 24 hours before cooking with the replacement gasket, I will be SOL for Sunday? Maybe I should replace it. I'd love to just go ahead and use a Nomex but I don't think my dealer has them...he's a new dealer. I'll check on my way home tonight.

If he doesn't have them, I guess I need to decide if I want to gamble on the original factory installed seal or not. I'm having people over on Sunday for one of my kids birthdays...need the egg to be cookin'...not waitin' for gasket adhesive to cure.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I would go ahead and cook with the factory installed gasket. The extra gasket that came with the egg is most likely a gray felt gasket. If you apply that one with 3M Super 77 it won't fall off like many new gaskets do, but you are still left with a felt gasket that does not hold up to the heat like a new nomex gasket. If I were you I would get a nomex (whether from your dealer or call Atlanta) and be ready to mount it with the 3M Super 77 when it blows.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    If your gasket goes between now and then, don't let it keep you from using your Egg. There are members of this forum who dont use gaskets. :)
  • El Guapo
    Options
    The spare seal sent with the egg is a gray felt seal. I'll go aheand and use the factory installed seal and see what happens. In the mean time, I'll pick up a Nomex, so I am ready if/when the seal gives up the ghost.

Thanks a ton for all the great advice.

David
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Why would BIG GREEN EGG sell new EGGS with bad felt gaskets ? Why not put on the NOMEX GASKET to begin with ? Where the the EGGS made ? Isn't this a quality-control issue ?
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Why would BIG GREEN EGG sell new EGGS with bad felt gaskets ? Why not put on the NOMEX GASKET to begin with ? Where the the EGGS made ? Isn't this a quality-control issue ?
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Why would BIG GREEN EGG sell new EGGS with bad felt gaskets ? Why not put on the NOMEX GASKET to begin with ? Where the the EGGS made ?
  • EGGARY
    Options