Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new maverick

Options
Cory430
Cory430 Posts: 1,073
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a new ET-73 a couple of weeks ago and am giving it a trial run on some country ribs that I will post in a bit. It seems like a pretty slick unit so far...excepting the crazy place that they put the on/off switch :angry: , I know that it's for H2O proofness but damn thats a PITA. Do ya'll just leave them on?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I used to leave mine off then got to thinking about unit life.

Someone on the forum put in a magnetic on off switch, pretty neat idea. Another member cut a hole in the back plate.

I still use the PIA method.

GG
  • Cory430
    Options
    Thanks GG, I'll probably end up following your lead and just dealing with turning the thing on/off when I need it. It seems like a neat unit though. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    it takes a few cooks to get used to the logic of setting it up. keep the directions for a while especially if setting it up at 10 at night after a few beers ;) its not beer friendly :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    I do the pia method but I also take the batteries out each time so I have to open it anyways.

I'm trying to migrate to rechargeable in everything I can and since if you don't use a rechargeable for awhile it tends to lose its charge, I'm stuck with the PIA method either way.
  • Cory430
    Options
    Fishless,

If it ain't beer friendly...I am screwed :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I have used the same set of (original) batteries for nearly 2 years. I mainly use it for short cooks, using the Guru for longer ones. But, when I have used it to monitor a second butt or something low & slow, I just use the transmitter unit, leave the back loose and turn it on when needing to do a spot check.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I used to have to get the instructions out every time to remember which unit to turn on first, the receiver or the transmitter. :(

One night I got the bright idea B) to use a Sharpie and write "Turn on first" on the back of the receiver. Duh... no more confusion! :blush: :woohoo:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its got some quirks. reciever needs to turn on first or it wont sink with the transmitter. you set the temp you want, then have to confirm it, why i dont know. now you set a temp, the alarm is not on, there is no reason to set a temp and not have the alarm on, but you must turn it on any ways, it should already be one. those little switches are easy to break be careful with them. DO NOT GET THE WIRES WET WHERE THEY CONNECT INTO THE PROBE, KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE SINK AND AWAY FROM THOSE THAT MUST WASH THINGS. :laugh: its pretty easy once you get used to the insane logic
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    clicking them on at the same time seems to work sometimes
    fukahwee maine

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Welcome to the do it in sixty seconds or you lose club.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The battery life seems to be very long. Fred had a contest for forum members to guess how long battery life would be on the 73. After 3 or 4 months, I think it was, he had a drawing and the batteries never did go out after the unit being on 24/7.

I use the Maverick most every time I use the q2 with the probes side by side and a lot of times for other cooks.

On longer cooks it is just nice to be able to glance at the receiver and continue on with what I am doing.

GG