Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pie Recipes

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
vinegar024.jpg

vinegar018.jpg

Sorry for the repeat post, but saw that there were some requests yesterday for Vinegar Pie recipes, but haven't been back on the Forum until now. I took these to work yesterday and got very favorable responses. Believe it or not, the Lemon was the favorite. I found a recipe calling for chopped raisins. That may be next.

here are the recipes for the Pecan and the Lemon/Almond...
Vinegar Pecan
1 Stick of butter
1 1/4 cups of sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. flour
3 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbs. Vinegar (any type, I used white Balsamic)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Melt and cool butter. Cream butter, flour and sugar. Add Eggs, stirring in one at a time. Ad Vinegar, Vanilla and pecans. Mix well. Pour into pie shell and bake indirect at 350 for 45 - 50 minutes or until done.

Lemon/Almond Vinegar Pie

Use the exact ingredients listed above except eliminate the pecans and add 1 1/2 Tbs. of fresh Lemon Zest. Top pie with almond slices and cook the same as the Pecan.

Comments

• PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Geeez Mike! you're really coming prepared!

How many pies have you done so far to "experiment"? hehe :whistle:

I still don't know what I'm cooking haha :woohoo:

Those pies looke great by the way!

cheers!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. The Lemon/Almond looks especially nice. I had an extra pie shell at Christmas, and so threw together a basic vinegar pie. My wife thought the name made it sound awful, so I just said it was a custard pie. All but one slice was eaten. So upping the recipe a bit with the almonds and lemons will make it a bit more festive.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Lawn Ranger

Great looking pies. I used to love making pies back in the good old days when I could eat them. :woohoo:

The best pies deserve the best crust and I set out to find the best way to make a pie crust. Here is what I found:

For a single crust:
    Double for 2 crust pie.

1 1/4 C All Purpose flour
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 Tablespoons Butter - No Substitute
    5 Tablespoons Lard - No Substitute
    3 Tablespoons Ice water
    1/2 Cup or more Graham Cracker crumbs - optional

Keep everything very cold! If you have a food processor freeze the butter and have everything else very cold. Do not freeze the lard, it will get to hard to work with but keep it very cold.

Cut butter into half inch chunks and add flour and butter to processor. Pulse until butter is broken up into pea sized pieces. Add lard, salt and sugar and pulse until the texture of a coarse corn meal.

Dump the contents of processor into a mixing bowl and start adding ice water, mixing with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The amount of ice water will vary with the weather and you might need a little more. Add only enough ice water so dough will just hold together in a ball. Flatten ball of dough into about a 4-5" disk and wrap in plastic film and chill for half an hour or more. You can always make ahead and freeze.

After dough is well chilled roll it out to fit pie plate using graham cracker crumbs for bench flour if the type of pie warrants it. If not use regular flour for rolling out.

I like to use cinnamon graham cracker crumbs for Apple, Blueberry or Lemon Meringue pies and any other pie that would be enhanced by it.

My Grandmother always used lard in her pie crust and I found out why, they will melt in your mouth like nothing else! There is no comparison. Butter has the great flavor, again no comparison. By keeping everything cold, the fats, butter and lard, stay in very small pieces within the dough and make it flaky like nothing else. This is a very tender dough and can be a little hard to handle but with a little practice is worth every bit of effort. After making a few they get easy and people are amazed by them and Gram would love them. :cheer:

Gator
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I agree about the homemade crust! However, I'm almost always too lazy/short of time in most cases. I found great frozen Marie Callender crusts for a while, but can't locate them anymore. Sure wish someone could steer me to a location.

Mike
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I used to think the same way until I learned how easy it is to make the real thing. I practiced them when I had the free time and would always have a couple in the freezer waiting for me. Your pies look awesome what ever crust you use. In my next life I'm going to try awfully hard not to be diabetic. :(

Gator