Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PEI Lobster on the Egg tomorrow!

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor just dropped off 2 PEI losters he caught last Saturday. Thinkin' I'd egg 'um tomorrow for dinner.
But how? Help please.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tim,

How big are they? I could come down and show you :evil:
    Gotta go to Steeltown anyway.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    steam them!

i'm always saying "steam lobsters, especially fresh ones". then fidel stops by. lobstera are cheap right now so i figured i'd use some in the paella. ...and we all know how THAT went. what a fest that was.

anyway. that convinced me i was right the first time.

steam them, and save the egg for somethin else.

lobsters (fresh) is one of those rare things the egg can't make better, IMHO
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    stike,

Who was it that did the tails? That sounded great.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    i did those dwell in the shell tails once with maine lobster. meh.

i think if you can only get frozen lobster tails, then doing them that way (dwell in the shell ) http://www.bbq.yyyz.net/R_LobsterTails.asp
    or stuffing them would be great. but i'm more convinced than ever (after trying to get the meat out of a raw shell) that i just would prefer my lobster steamed with butter.... lobsters are at maybe 5.99 a pound. folks are finally home (today) from florida and we missed theor b-days, etc. maybe have them ovah for lobstah an' steamahs.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Sorry buddy, they aren't that big. They are par boiled and packed in ice. Boil more or egg? I'm thinking egg at about 350 for 1/2 hour or so. :ermm:
    You're welcome to stop by anyway. I'll feed you beer while you watch me eat! :laugh:
    (You going to the Hammer and I'm going to Bolton. What's up with that?) :huh:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Tim,

Bolton is in Caledon. Bout 15 minutes from me. The reason I asked about the size was if they were real big and you could separate the tails and do the dwell in the shell method that stike mentioned. It looks really good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    What eva ya do...don't fahget the buddah!! :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Tim...What do the directions say as far as completing the cooking of the lobsters? How much longer do they need to be cooked? One of the first meals Bubba Tim made for me was mesquite grilled lobsters. Though, like Stike, I still prefer my lobbies steamed, this was actually pretty good!
    Let me know how much longer they are supposed to cook, and I will tell you how to finish.
  • stike
    Options
    a'course! guttah have buttah. wicked haht with some beeyahs to wash it down
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Afta the beeyas, gotta take a trip to the Green Monstah! Once a New Englandah, always a New Englandah! :woohoo:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    They are a bit on the small side. About 1-1.5 lbs. Would like to give you instructions but there is none. I looked all over them for it. These guys were caught Saturday, par boiled then thrown in the cooler with ice packs and on the plane. He actually brought 14 home. He kept the big 12. Gave me the 2 babies.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    How much black is left on the shell? Meaning...I assume they are not bright red yet...is there still the dark shell left on the tail and body? (spent many many years around lobsters...can pretty much know by the shell appearance how long they have cooked) I expect black around the edges of the claws...but how much dark shell is left on the body and tail??
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Ok. I think I got it...
    Lobster, Butter, Beer, Red Sox.
    But I'm a Blue Jays fan! 3 out of 4 ain't bad.
    Now what? :(
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I have done Houndog's Dwell in the shell with frozen tails from Sam's and they were great. I've got 2 large tails in the freezer. When I get a couple more to go with them, we will have some of our good friends over and impress them with the Egg - AGAIN ! ;)

Oh, And we won't forget the buddah or the beeyahs ! :whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    In this case, beer (partying) didn't help.

Michael
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Ya, I got it. What do you mean party doesn't help?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Tim - Thanks for the pic...helps a lot! That couple, you have a male and a female there, appear fully cooked. This is going to be a re-heat, and eat. My advice....get a pot of water (seasoned heavily) to a rolling boil. (Only need enough water to cover the lobbies) Also, if you want Egged (smoked) lobbies, get the Egg going strong. Once all items are going good, toss a few hunks of Mesquite (or your preferred wood) into the Egg. Once it is smoking good, throw the lobbies into the boiling water for 3 minutes. (This will be just enough to heat them back through, and will replace the water that has long since drained out of the shell.) Put them on the Egg, raised grid, direct (in the heavy smoke) for no longer than 7 minutes...5 min is plenty. Just long enough for them to pick up that smokey flavor. The lobbies will have the smokey flavor, be heated through, and will be moist.
    Serve with hot melted "buddah", and a frosty "Beeyah!"....lol! Let us know how it turns out for you.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Sounds like a plan!
    Thanks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,840
    Options
    boil your lobster 5 to 6 minutes,longer if your working with a really big one, then toss in ice water to stop the cooking and the semi raw meat comes out of the shell like a fully cooked one. much easier than trying to get a raw lobster out of a shell. thats what i do when making a bisque or that lobster chili and just add it back in for the last few minutes to finish cooking. dont want to over cook that lobster
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    thanks. yeah. that's exactly what my wife did as i was getting the sofrito in the paella going. i tried a bit with the tail, and massacred it raw, so she steamed them lightly.

that was another reason the paella svcked so badly... as the rice was "finishing" (it was cracking, and i was thinking it was done way earlier than usual) i ended up rushing the seafood on top, and the lobster never got a nice roll in some fat to finish cooking, so kinda just cooked in the dry air on toppa the paella. wanted o briefly saute' it and then toss it on top.

ah well.

i'm a backyard cook anyway. good thing i have a day job