Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini -- Accessories?

Options
Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a new mini at the Waldorf Fest. Have a large, but am wondering where to get the accessories for the runt...

Already did several cooks on it and am well pleased with the purchase. Gotta have the toys as well!

Thanks

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Not many toys available because it is a searing machine. Some have hand made platesetters and cast grids.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I purchased a couple of 8 inch pizza stones on Amazon. I used a Rotozip to cut one in the form of a platesetter. It isn't big enough to sit on the fire ring though, but makes a great barrier and doesn't cut the airflow.
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    There was a guy there going by (I think) "Vidalia1" who was doing "mini" pork-loins indirect. He used a ring-type assembly with a mini pizza stone to get the indirect-effect. Can't remember the name of who makes it or where to get the ring assembly.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Try the ceramicgrillstore.com
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    LOTS OF STEAK!! ;)
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think that was a proto-type from tjv that Vidalia was testing for him.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    The Mini is indeed good for searing, but it can also be used at lower temperatures. I cooked sausages at 325º at Waldorf. I wondered if they'd be OK that close to the lump but they were fine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I just got an extra grid and made a raised grid that I use all the time. I will frequently make a "pan" out of alum foil and set it on the lower grid to give me an indirect cook.

I've cooked all sorts of stuff on it. when you cook larger items like whole chickens (4lb or less)or roast beef, the meat impedes the airflow so you have to be aware and adjust accordingly.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    true, but slower low temp cooks are beeter achieved on the Small thru XL. So many more accessories are available for those 4 sizes (and not concocted at home). That was my only point.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yep, Tom at www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    now has a new & improved mini woo that will hold the Amazon pizza stones. You can use it just like a platesetter for indirect cooking.

You place the woo on the fire ring and the pizza stone sits inside the Woo...you can put a small aluminum pan or foil on the pizza stone. We did fatties, sausages & pork tenderloins indirect on Saturday at Waldorf.

They are a must in my opinion for the mini. I also have used the mini woo with pizza stones to do pizzas and used the 8" CI skillet for all sorts of grilling...

look for some of my recent posts and you will see the pics..

email me at bludyung@yahoo.com if you have any questions....