Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Western Red Cedar Planked Grouper

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today my wife decided fish for lunch... I suggested Planked Grouper.....
Going on the egg..Cedar plank...Grouper marinated with Chardonay,EVOO, Dill, Salt, Pepper, Mango, Cilantro, Green Onions & Lemon.....400° Dome......145° Inside...

DSCN4444.jpg
DSCN4446.jpg
RSCN4447.jpg

Served with green salad,zucchini & rice..

DSCN4448.jpg
DSCN4451.jpg

...since we seem to be on a diet....this was dessert.... :woohoo:

DSCN4399-1.jpg
DSCN4401-1.jpg
DSCN4442.jpg
DSCN4443.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Beli,

Another wonderful looking cook!

How is your plank supply? I picked up a few things for you including some alder planks. I will send it down to Promotores with some New Brunswick maple syrop that Mike sent me.
    Tell me Loren has not stopped making her wonderful desserts :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,840
    Options
    wonder how that would work with haddock or cod. looks good. your veracruzana with cod is one of the best recipes ive had this year, this may top it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beli
    Options
    Steve......you are too much TKS my friend.......my plank supply is on the low side........this is my first planked cook of the year for that reaso... we can't get them here :( ... and Mike's maple syrop has become a must in this home....
    Actually considering we used mango in the recipe...she made mango icecream but wasn't ready.... :P Un abrazo & all the best to you & yours... ;)
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS mi amigo...always a pleasure to hear encouraging expert opinions.. :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Beli - That grouper looks fantastic!!! I have been itching for some fresh grouper for the egg but last I looked prices were through the roof and it was all imported from Mexico! Red was $14.25 a pound and black was $16.50 a pound. :blink: I may have to move further south and get closer to the source. :woohoo:

Gator
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Beli, that grouper looks faboulous!! I've been craving grouper for a long time. What a great combination you put together. Your flowers are spectacular!! Looks like you're in paradise. I'm just hoping Pato can put together a Monterey Eggfest. These pictures are killing me.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Beli, that looks wonderful. I am saving it. Thanks.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Tampa Egg Goddess
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beli
    Options
    Yes I know what you mean, this particular fish was given to us by my inlaws...who got it fresh from the Sea Of Cortéz and flew it in from there. Usually we don't get such fresh fish around here in Monterrey...it is mostly frozen. Where are you located??
  • Beli
    Options
    Anne, we didn't want much grease and this was the perfect solution without sacrificing taste.. ;) Pato is an excellent organizer & chef hope something can be done to put it together
  • Beli
    Options
    Faith...always a nice & easy alternative also very fast....took me about 13 min. to reach the internal temp once the dome temp was stabilized...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Beli,

I'll get some more cedar as well then.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Ahh...grilled grouper....MMMMmmm...Yummmm! Looks wonderful mi hermano! I could eat that everyday! How much flavor did the plank impart?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Beli,

I'm in Fort Myers, Florida. I grew up in New England but have been down here for 25 years, grouper became my favorite fish the first time I had it. I'm in hopes that this summer after the snow birds and tourist have left the fish prices will go down. We can only hope.

Gator
  • Beli
    Options
    Hi there Todd
    I had used the plank once already...so the flavour though not very strong was still there.....I even asked Loren to come by the egg and smell the nice woody scent when I was cooking......the fish was really tasty & tender....perfect for a low cal meal
  • Beli
    Options
    Steve
    Can't thank you enough my friend!!!