Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

transport Large BGE ?

Options
Jeff J
Jeff J Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, I want to take my large egg to the beach for our vaction. I'm looking for any tips on carrying it, I'll probley be driving my pickup truck. I've got a really big rubbermade bin that I'm gonna put my pizza stone and plate setter in, could put fire box, grate in if must, should I just strap the egg in, should I put it on something, gotta go bout 400 miles each way.

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Jeff J,
    I built me a framed box not closed in out of 2x4's
    with a plywood bottom, made it 3ft x 3ft and all was well, didn't worry about it falling over........have fun

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Jeff J,
    I'd suggest taking the fire box and fire ring out, slipping in some cardboard or styrofoam spacers between them and the egg itself, and then reassembling it.[p]the spacers will keep the innards from smashing into each other when you hit a hard bump, and the egg itself will secure everything in one place.[p]I'd also tie the lid shut tightly.[p]When you hit a bump, the lid will stay put.[p]Obviously, the daisy wheel and rain cap should be stowed separately, and the grill and fire grate (and any accessories) too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Jeff J,
    I've brought my Large BGE to a few NE Patriots football games in order for proper tailgating before the game. What I've done is take out the grate, fire box and fire ring and put it in the back seat of my truck, but anywhere safe and secure would work. I the loosen the band and take the top of the BGE off and place the bottom on a piece of plywood on the tailgate of my truck. Next I put the top back on and slide the plywood to the back of the truck (up against the cab and along the side of the truck. When I "wedge" it into the corner of the truck I take an old blanket, foam rubber or a moving blanket and place it between the BGE and the bed of the truck (to avoid chipping the BGE. I then take a nylon ratchet strap and run this through the bed hooks, around the BGE going through the bottom vent, to vent and handle/hinges, making sure the pull of the cord is keeping the lid secure against the base. I also make sure the "pull" of the cord pull the BGE secure into the corner of the bed of the truck. I've done this many times and have not had any problems at all. The trip from my house to the parking lot of the Patriots home games is about 220 miles each way.......I also bring my small strapped into the back seat of the truck and the mini will make it's first trip this coming season!

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Go down the the post "Help! I need your egg cart pics" and look at the second post by Chuckls and you'll see the nylon straps I mean....