Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Eye Balls & Spaghetti

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had the great pleasure of tasting “Red Eye Express” for the first time this weekend at Waldorf on Chris’ “rib-trimmings” fatty. The fatty was the tastiest thing I sampled & the rub is now my favorite. Bought me a jar yesterday, looked at the label, & this is what happened:

IMG_3339.jpg

grinded up a couple strip steaks, added a little breadcrumb, parsley, milk, & a couple eggs:

IMG_3341.jpg

what’s an eyeball without a pupil:

IMG_3340.jpg

crammed in post-rolling:

IMG_3342.jpg

a nice roll in Red Eye:

IMG_3343.jpg

it was raining pretty hard, so I set up porch mini for a little smoke action:

IMG_3344.jpg

oh the joy:

IMG_3345.jpg

a little while later:

IMG_3346.jpg

play’n with food is fun:

IMG_3350.jpg

Thanks again to Chris for making rub that’s so good it just isn’t worth making your own; and a hello to young Kenny, certainly a great voice for the company
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Dangit Zippy,quit playin with your food!!! :lol: Looks great mang :woohoo: That Redeye is awesome on steaks also :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mark,

I was going o try redeye tonight but it's too late. Looking good! How are the olives holding out?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options
    yea, this was actually late lunch for us, no dinner, after stuffing ourselves all weekend... the olives are in good steady supply here, no worries.
    happy in the hut
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Zippy you never cease to amaze me with your creations. You mind is always working overtime. It was nice to see you again this weekend. What a great fest Dale puts on. Those fatties Chris made at the before party from the rib trimmings were the BEST fatties I've ever had. He really comes up with some great stuff doesn't. I don't know if you got to try Chris's ribs yesterday, but they were unbeivable. No wonder he's winning the competitions. I was impressed with Kenny too. Nice to see a young kid with goals like he has. With Chris taking him under his wing he'll do well in life.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    AWESOME! That looks great!
  • Zippylip
    Options
    thanks Anne, it was great seeing you & Dale again too, next stop for me is Atlanta & I really hope you guys are planning on attending. Agreed on the fatties, just unbelievable, & I did manage (through the wonders of marriage) to get a rib, Karen was good enough to grab me one. Please tell Dale that I am still laughing about the conversation we had concerning & a bottle of gin & an unspecified partygoer, I tell you I want to wet my pants every time I think about it
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    thanks Todd, & by the way you should know that the Dizzy Doobers with Carnivore Chipotle went over great yesterday
    happy in the hut
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wow, you got right to work! I saw your eyes darting around as you were chewing that fatty and already scheming what you were going to make. Good call on the olives. While I am not a fan of olives, in my mind the flavors would go real good together.

Just wanted to say how much of a pleasure it was talking with you more and meeting your beautiful family. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next time.

Now...what do I gotta do to get me a plate of that there in the picture?? :-)
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Great looking cook Zippy!

Ross
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Chris, I did jump the gun on this one, just couldn't wait, I really did enjoy the rub that much man, such good stuff. It was really fun talking with you over the course of the weekend, & I really hope I can make it up to that PA competition this summer. Now, I know you explained it to me 4 times but I am going to need the low down on the maple fatty one more time... Karen loved it too, & wants me to make them as an appetizer for our next gathering of happy beverage loving people
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Thanks Ross, & are we gonna get you out of Ventura & down to Atlanta to hang out this year???? Would love to meet you & yours
    happy in the hut
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You never cease to amaze me with what you come up with. I've got 24 chicken legs on do you think I can wrap them in sausage or stuff them in a whole flounder or something :blink: :pinch: . Great job Marc
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Maple Red Eye Rib Fatties

When I trim my spare ribs St Louis style, I cut off the knuckle/rib tips from the bones. The flap of meat on the back too. Then remove all the meat and fat you can from the rib tips...takes a little practice to get quick at it, but it doesn't take too long once you figure out the anatomy. Anyways, I cut all the meat and fat up into chunks and feed it through my kitchenaid coarse grinding plate once. This time I got approx 3-4 pounds of meat from 4 slabs of ribs.

I spread it out on a big cookie sheet, then shook on the red eye express (Maybe 1.5 tbsp per pound), then a little salt. Next I drizzle maple syrup over it (about 1/4 cup per pound of meat) and toss it all together. I form into logs, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate overnight. Next day shake the rub all over the logs.

Get your egg set up direct, raised grate is my pref. Around 300 dome temp, and let her go. Flip every 15-20 minutes and cook until about 180 internal. Usually it takes me 45-60 minutes to get the crust/color I want, and render some of the collagen.

With our competitions, I am gonna have a bunch of rib meat to play with this year. The possibilities are endless.
    Enjoy!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zippylip
    Options
    too funny Pat, would've loved to see you up here this weekend, could've used just one more beer drinking/meat eating machine, this party had you written all over it man, really missed you
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    gonna print this now, tanks mang
    happy in the hut
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Marc, well you certainly got right to work on it!!
    Looks excellent! Wish I was at your house for dinner tonight. The doober you cooked yesterday was great. I love your creative cooking ideas.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Tampa Egg Goddess
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Thanks for asking Zippy, I was going to ask the same exact question. Can't wait to make this. Copy and pasted in My Favorite Recipes. Thanks to Chris too!!
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Thanks Faith, it was great to see you again this weekend, looking forward already to Atlanta, hope to see you there, maybe we'll do some mini-pies in the parking lot after-party how 'bout it?
    happy in the hut
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    glad to hear you discovered RE Express Zippy..this has been my favorite for quite some time..I love the coffee flavor and the underlying kick of this rub.. it absolutely rocks on pork and I now use it as a light rub before searing a steak...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Zippy,

So did you ever cook the scrapple at Waldorf???? B)