Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Marriage of TRex and Nature Boy

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some beautiful 2" filets to cook for dinner tonight. Decided to do my first TRex-style steaks. Rubbed in olive oil and then with Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom. Let sit at room temperature while the small egg came up to nuke temps (600° to 650° - the hottest I've taken it thus far!). Tossed 'em on for 2 minutes per side, took 'em off and let them rest for 15 minutes while the cooker came down to 400°. At the same time, put individual cast iron baking dishes on the cooker to heat up (we got these at a Lodge Factory Outlet in Gatlinburg, TN on our way back from Eggfest 2003). After 15 minutes, tossed the filets back on the cooker for 3 minutes and flipped. Cooked for another 3 minutes. Then put a pat of garlic herbed butter in the cast iron singles, added a steak in each, and cooked for 1 minute per side longer.[p]Damn good steaks tonight![p]filet-with-fire.jpg[p]filet-in-cast-iron.jpg[p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• QBabe
    Options
    OK, let's try that again...dang, I thought I had that picture posting thing down pretty well....[p]filet-with-fire.jpg[p]filet-in-cast-iron.jpg
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    sounds great. . .next time, try heating up the little cast iron doodads in the egg to 600+ throw some butter in there and do them trex method in that. . .after the sear, pull the cast iron out and continue in the normal trex method (you can always do the cast iron again at the end for serving). .. .you will get kind of a ruth chris thing going on, its pretty damn good. . ..be interested in see how the swamp venom worked out. . .i usually coat tenderloins in kosher salt and dizzy cow lick, they are excellent that way as well. .

• QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I was sort of looking for that Ruth's Chris thing with the butter, but was afraid if I left it in for very long it would burn and get that nasty flavor that burned butter takes on. Mr. Hyde took me out for my birthday last month and we went to a place in G'ville called "Mark's Prime" where I had the ABSOLUTELY best steak I've ever tasted in my life where they did something to it with butter ('cause I could taste it), but wouldn't divulge the recipe. I also think it was the best steak 'cause it was prime beef and I can't get that anywhere nearby...only choice and select.[p]Regardless, these have to be the best one's I've every served! And, I don't think I'll get any arguments if I want to keep on "practicing"![p]Oh, yeah, the flavored butter was 1 stick of softened butter, 1 clove minced garlic, 1-2 tbsp freshed minced herbs (I had rosemary, parsley, and thyme in my herb garden) and a generous sprinkling of Swamp Venom to give it a little kick! Creamed the butter, mixed in the garlic, herbs and spices, rolled it back up and just cut little rounds from it when the time came...[p]Mornin' irish coffee's to ya,
    Tonia
    :~)[p]BTW, take a look at my previous post now...got the pics to come up.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    i'll be honest with you, there was a whole bunch of threads about a month ago here on the forum regarding use of butter vs. clarified butter. . ..while i haven't noticed a nasty taste, even w/ butter burnning in my cast iron during the sear, you could always use clarified butter to insure no nasties. . .either way, if you like the idea of a butter seared steak, give it a try one night. .. the worst possible thing is you've wasted a couple of steaks and you have to make a trip to mickey 'd's for their version of steak on a bun. . .but the rewards . .. .ahhh, the rewards may make the risk well worth it . .[p]enjoy your sunday[p]max

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    QBabe,
    Good thing I saw this post before my wife did![p]Wow...nice looking steaks there Tonia. Great pictures too! Now I am hungry. And dang if I don't have a nice choice angus ribeye bathing in olive oil for a trip to the small egg inferno this afternoon!! [p]I think I will try the Swamp Venom. Have not on steak, but have heard it works! Thank you.[p]Have a great end-o-the-weekend!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I was just about to mention clarified butter. That is the STUFF you wanna use if you are worried about burnage.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    now here's a question, cause i'm so damn lazy. ..can you buy clarified butter at the grocery?. .. while i don't think i've had any nasty tastes (partly cause its so so hot and so many other things are goin on in that hot egg), i'd probably use clarified butter if it wasn't such a pain in the toushy to make. . .

• Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You can buy it. In fact, I designed a label about 20 years ago for a company that sells the stuff. I can't even remember the name...but I'd know the label if I saw it! [p]If you can't find it at Giant or Safeway, try Fresh Fields.[p]Enjoy the heat!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    thanks dude. .. yea, its a hot one. . went out and shot a few baskets with young sam a little while ago. .. didn't last long, went to 7/11 and got slurpies. .. [p]tonight. .. trexing some 2" filet mignons. .. kosher salt and cow lick. . may do my cast iron flaming deal on them as well. . .so i might just dash out to the local markets and see about some clarified butter. .. [p]enjoy your day as well .. . [p]max

• QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Next time, I think I'll have to try the sear with the butter and maybe I can find the premade clarified stuff too since I'm in the lazy camp with ya! Just got back from Ginnie Springs where we were chillin' some of this heat away. Had to cut it a little short though so I could get back early enough to get the ribs on...![p]Holiday beverages to you,
    QBabe

• QBabe
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]That pic was pure luck! It was pretty hot in there![p]Happy weekend,
    Tonia

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    QBabe,
    Just where did you get those cute little dishes? I can think of a million uses for them. those pictures are GRRR...ATE! They rival the pic of the strip steak that Nature Boy has. I made some Gee months ago and use it often. It seems not to burn under high heat. I bet you could throw the herbs and garlic in Gee and cook those filets. Nice job.

• QBabe
    Options
    MAC,[p]We got those little cast iron babies at a Lodge Factory Outlet in Gatlinburg, TN while on vacation, but I'll bet you can get them directly from Lodge online if you don't have an outlet nearby.[p]I had some kind of baked seafood in mind when I bought them, but they seemed perfect for this![p]Cheers,
    QBabe

[ul][li]Lodge Cast Iron[/ul]